Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Rear Wheel Bearings

LRSBT
07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Please can someone tell me how to change the rear wheel bearings in my 1994 4WD jeep cherokee and does it require any special tools

gtmud
07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
As far as I can recall it will require basic tools ( 1/2'' ratchet and sockets, wrenches, and a slide hammer kit) If you don't have the slide hammer kit, your local advance auto rents tools. Just be careful, once you remove the diff cover and you are ready to remove the axles, there is a small bolt that goes into the side of the carrier, it locks the stock in place, holding the spider gears. MAkesure you have a good box-end wrench or socket on it. Once you break it loose and remove it and the steel stock, you can slide the axles in a little and remove the C-clips that hold the axles in place. Once those are out you can slide the axles out and use the slide hammer kit to remove the bearing and race. Then its all in reverse. It sounds like a lot, but it is very simple if you pay attention to what you are doing. Read up on the procedure in your Haynes manuel to help you get direction.

Add your comment to this topic!