Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 4wd Alignment issues

birdwelldnb
07-27-2008, 06:01 PM
So I took my 99 Trailblazer (143k mi) to my local Pep Boys today for a couple tires and a 4-wheel alignment. Anyway, here are the numbers from the Pep Boys printout:

before:
lf caster -0.4 rf caster +3.2
lf camber -1.5 rf camber -0.3
lf toe -1.5 rf toe +1.05

after:
lf caster -0.4 rf caster +3.2 spec range 2 to 4
lf camber -1.4 rf camber -0.3 spec range -1.0 to +1.0
lf toe +0.05 rf toe +0.05 spec range -0.05 to +0.15

Alignment Values:
total toe: 0.10
camber diff: -1.1
caster diff: -3.6

(the data for the rear was unremarkable so I won't include it)

So here's my problem... Prior to alignment, blazer pulled to the left, rf tire was badly worn on inside, lf tire was evenly worn, and the steering wheel was turned to about 1:00 while driving straight. Yeserday I jacked it up and did the usual wiggle test and visual inspection and the only problem was worn out stabilizer links on both sides, which I replaced. I haven't touched any other components other than with a grease gun. (Oh also, the stabilizer bar itself is about 1.5 inches off center to te right which neither I nor the pep boy did anything about)

So I get 2 new tires up front and after the mechanic is finished with the alignment, he starts telling me that the only way he can adjust the positive caster is to remove the upper control arm and ream out some holes to allow more movement. I know there is a way to adjust caster and I started to correct him on this, and he said that the adjustment was maxed out. He assured me that all the differences were in accordance with specs and that while the vehicle will pull to the right, I wouldn't have any premature tire wear.

He offered no explanation as to why the lf camber wasn't corrected more, dissapeared back into the shop and left me with the clerk. I paid and went on my way, and immediately noticed that the steering wheel was now at 10:00 while driving straight, but I barely notice any pull at all to either side.

Am I the victim of a lazy mechanic or what? Anybody else have similar problems??

rhandwor
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
He probably didn't have this tool.
http://www.ntxtools.com/ OTC 7491C
This link has very good pictures of a front end lift kit install. The pictures have a lot of good information.
http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/C9331K.pdf
This is valuable if you want to change a ball joint or other part.
He said he needed extra work and you will be charged at another shop if they have to use a tool like this. A picture of a torsion bar tool is also shown.

Scrapper
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
caster is not a wearing problem it's a pull angle. so i say your camber was off specs and or toe in.iff your steering wheel is not straight accros leval then they never set the toe right.and you say 4 wheel alignment i believe they just aligned your front and not rear..they get you like that when they hook up on all 4 wheels. but makes it look like 4 wheel...

Add your comment to this topic!