Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OBD plug location

stroschein
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a 1990 Jetta, with 1.8 ltr, 8 valve, automatic trans. i am trying to locate the On Board Diagnostic plug to plug my scan tool into. Chiltons says it is on the drivers side of the shifter console, the scan tool book says under the dash on the drivers compartment. i cant find it either place. i have the dash out of it and have had the carpet out, and the center console out but i cant seem to find the port. i did see one place that not all jettas have one, if this is so how do i get the trouble codes out of it?

Scrapper
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
yes it should be on drivers side.do you have same plug in so you can read the codes? iff not you may have to get the right adapter to plug it in. but you can take it to auto store..don't cost nothing and you might do the key methed that they have...

stroschein
07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
i have the ODB II plug on my scan tool, but the problem is i cant locate the plug on the car.

stroschein
07-27-2008, 04:12 PM
what is the key method you mentioned?

Scrapper
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
the key thing at autozone. and then they take in run it threw the computer and it tells what your problem is...

kenn2.0
08-28-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a 1990 and a 1992 Jetta and neither have any discernable scan tool plug in the cabin area. It may possibly be near the fuse panel or in the engine bay. You also need the OBD-1 scanner (VW SCAN TOOL 90-95 PART#LPV800902) not the OBD-2.

Also, you might want to consider buying the Bentley manual:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=vd95

If you own an older Volkswagen you're going to need a Bentley manual. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

Cheers.

stroschein
08-28-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks for the reply, i have had the dash out and the carpet out of the cabin looking, i have subscribed to an factory manual web site and still no plug. so i hav given up and put it all back togather and am now starting to check individual components with a DVOM and my manuals. i have checked the pre fuel pump in the gas tank, and replaced the mass air flow sensor from a running car. but still havnt found the problem. im starting to think vacume leak, leaning out the engine and computer giving more gas to compensate.

Scrapper
08-29-2008, 05:37 AM
yes and there pretey good at it. every time i've use key methed it is always right on.

kenn2.0
09-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I just got this info from VAG COM:

http://www.thebbg.org/dlc.gif

It may help you to sort out your codes.

Add your comment to this topic!