02 Ram 1500 Blown Head Gasket?

Promskpr65
07-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Drove up the mountains and the upper radiator hose blew up. By the time I had a chance to pull over the truck died on me and leaked fluids all over. I replaced the hose and replenished radiator fluids and now I have white smoke comming out of the exhaust. Sounds like a blown head gasket. What additional damage could I have cause? :banghead: Any ideas how much that will set me back?

wafrederick
07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Is it a 4.7?It is headgaskets and sound like it is cooked now.One option is a reman engine,from Jasper or Chrysler.The Jasper has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and the Chrysler has a 3 year 80,000 mile warranty.An used engine has a 30 to 90 day warranty from the junkyard those are two options to look into.The general rule is if it starts getting hot,shut it right away.

Promskpr65
07-27-2008, 07:18 PM
It is a 4.7 liter engine. Unfortunately the temp gauge never indicated a raise in temp. Is it worth replacing the headgaskets first before looking into a new engine, or am I just pissing money away?

wafrederick
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Depends what the cylinders look like,if there is any scores in them and that is when it is not worth putting headgaskets in them.Another thing to check on them are the valve seats,come out of the head,a common problem and the head is junk right away.I seen a 2001 dakota this way,the cylinders were scored up with bad headgaskets.Advantage with a reman from Jasper or Chrysler,you have a 3 year warranty and you don't have mess with the head gaskets.

rhandwor
07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
With the price of fuel if you don't want to keep driving it buy a good used engine and sell it. If you need this big of vehicle price some rebuilt engines, if you can do your own work pull the heads and do a good inspection talk to your machine shop. Get a price on a valve job and pressure test and resurface. Take your time and check various prices before you start. An informed decision is your best bet. You are on the scene and we are only giving ideas.

levo2
07-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I have a 2002 & the upper radiator hose blew up too. It happen while I was racing (95-100 mph) a co worker to the hospital. Didn't notice the temp till the truck was losing power. The temp was at its highest point by then. As soon as I let the gas peddle go it died.
I checked the oil dip stick. Luckily normal oil color. Left truck stranded on the hwy. I Later went to replaced hose & added coolant. Ran the truck home for like 15 miles. Ran good, but as soon as i got in town idle wasn't normal. The following day I started the truck to take it to mechanic shop & it started fine. White smoke started coming from the exhaust. When I got to the mechanic he connected the pc & nothing. A few minutes later codes started to appear on two cylinders misfiring. Truck was turn off. Spark plugs removed from the 2 cylinders.
Both were wet.
Head gasket was replaced including a bunch of seals. Cylinder heads were tested & worked on by a machine shop.
all together it was around $1000.00.
P.S. my co-worker was pick up by another co-worker an taken to the hospital. He had kidney stones.

wafrederick
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I know of another one,a 2003 that had this problem twice.Dealer replaced the headgaskets once and blew again a second time.The only option was to put in a Jasper reman which was done.

Add your comment to this topic!