Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Nissan Pickup won't start after sitting for 3 months.

kjac3585
07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
95 Nissan Pickup 4x4 V6

My truck has been sitting in my backyard for about three months untouched. I changed the oil out and then tried to start it with no luck.

The battery is new and seems to work fine; all the lights etc work. I took the battery out of my car and put it in the truck with no success as well.

When I try to start it I hear a click then a whirring sound. The whirring sound continues until i stop turning the key. When I removed the Fuel Relay and the whirring sound stops; then I hear only a single faint click from the engine bay.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

afn63537
12-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure why some posts here go unanswered for so long, but I'm a newbie to this forum, so maybe I'll figure it out someday.
Sounds like the best place to start is the starter solenoid. Usually the clicking is the solenoid trying to make the starter contacts engage, but either the contacts are burnt or corroded inside, or the starter won't turn for some reason.
The whirring is hard to guess at since you didn't say where it was coming from. Could be a fan motor which would be under the hood, or the fuel pump which is usually in the fuel tank.

kjac3585
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
it ended up being pretty simple...all I had to do was pump the gas pedal to get it to start...not sure why I had to do that considering it's fuel injected.

Scrapper
12-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure why some posts here go unanswered for so long, but I'm a newbie to this forum, so maybe I'll figure it out someday.
Sounds like the best place to start is the starter solenoid. Usually the clicking is the solenoid trying to make the starter contacts engage, but either the contacts are burnt or corroded inside, or the starter won't turn for some reason.
The whirring is hard to guess at since you didn't say where it was coming from. Could be a fan motor which would be under the hood, or the fuel pump which is usually in the fuel tank.

sylinoid is not letting starter to kick out to turn moter over. thats my guess. i'd have it checked before buying a new one.

Add your comment to this topic!