Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

any advice on rear axle

dreaminofz's
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
if anyone has any tips on removing the rear axle off a late 70's camaro they would be greatly appreciated...its the first time I am doing this and just want to do it right pictures are welcome if ya'll think they will help.

mikeemon
07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Are you removing the whole rear end assembly or just axles?

inafogg
07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
there are 2 ways they are removed & not sure of your set up.both are easy with the drums removed look at the axle where the wheel studs are.is there a hole where u can remove the 4 bolts & slide axle out.if no hole then u need to remove pumpkin cover you'll see a pin about 1/2 in diameter & about 6'' long.remove the 5/16 bolt & remove pin.there is a thick C clip remove & slide axle out.
DO NOT TURN WHEEL/AXLE WITH PIN OUT OR GEARS WILL FALL OUT!!!!!

dreaminofz's
07-25-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah sorry i wasn't more clear I'm trying to drop the whole assembly. i need to replace the bearings and stuff but i wanted to go ahead and blast the housing and paint it and replace the springs shocks and sway bar so i was going to just pull the whole thing out. If this isn't necesary haha then by all means tell me. Well i know it's necesary to blast it but by the way these bolts are fighting me i could be easily talked out of it. I have the car on jack stands in the back on my driveway. Not a very good set up but our farm shop blew down during hurricane Rita and we haven't rebuilt.

mikeemon
07-25-2008, 11:04 PM
In either case... To remove the whole thing.. Jack rear. Support it. Drain it. Disconnect brake line, parking brake cables, shocks, swaybar attachments & driveshaft. The front leaf spring mount is removable by removing bolts to the frame and it will drop out. The rears are trickier and will definitly be easier with fuel tank removed. Do you need a new tank anyways?

dreaminofz's
07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
no haha

Morley
07-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Best advice? Buy 2 or 3 cans of PB blaster (very good penetrating oil) and soak every bolt on the whole assembly, liberaly. Keep soaking them down twice a day for 3-4 days. THEN start trying to remove parts, it'll go much smoother.

mikeemon
07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I also vaguely remember using an obstruction wrench to get up at and turn the rear leaf spring mounting nuts. It is a C shaped box end type wrench.

dreaminofz's
07-26-2008, 11:17 AM
o ok thanks

inafogg
07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
you should be able to rebuild/replace bearings etc. without removing.now if you want to sand blast & paint your better off removing.what is wrong with rear end??

dreaminofz's
07-27-2008, 05:59 PM
the fluid had leaked out without me knowing so when i drove it the bearings in the center section weren't getting enough oil and burnt up...the ring and pinion seemed to have slid back and look like they rubbed the differential cuz i can see the marks and while trying to drive it up on a trailer i could feel it hitting (thats when i decided to let a tow truck pull it on) but while it's screwed i was going to overhaul the whole rear end while im on summer break and making good money working a lot. i also wanted to upgrade the suspension and maybe get into some autocrossing so i was going to mess with that while it was out

Morley
07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Any hardware you remove should be replaced too, ie, U-bolts, etc.

dreaminofz's
07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
yeah im ready to replace all that...all the bolts are 30 yrs old and i want to be able to autocross the car haha. I've already got 2 bolts that i know i have to either grind off or use an oxy torch to cut off :(

Add your comment to this topic!