Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission fluid in Transfer Case

lynndiwagon
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a 95, 4wd, blazer. 4.3L, auto. Last time I was at the Lake and tried driving it I noticed that you had to rev it up real high before it would start moving. It actually won't pull it's A** out of a lard bucket. Checked the fluid and it wasn't seven on the stick. Noticed stick was really rusty. Poured seven quarts of fluid into it and didn't make any difference. When in Park I hear a rattling noise coming from the transmission area. It is drivable in 4 wheel Low. Thinking torque converter? Also, where did all of that fluid go because there are no leaks. I'm retired and pretty mechanical so I'm going to haul it back home and do the rebuild myself....got plenty of time and need a project. Was quoted 1,700.00 for rebuild locally. Bought the ATSG book and it doesn't look to be all that complicated. Is there a special seal that prevents fluid from going into the transfer case on a 4X4? Anyone rebuild one of these (4L60E) themselves? Thanks.

Lynn Wagoner
Yukon, OK

MT-2500
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Run away from them rebuild shops that give you a fast quote before they take it apart and see what is worn out.

Yes There is a seal /seals double type on front of transfer case to seperate the transmission from transfer case.
Always replace with a transmission rebuild.

And Check the transfer case for overfill.

The atsg or atra hand books are real good books.

On a rebuilt take your time and take it down to bare metal and clean it all up good enought to eat off of.

Always replace the sun gear shell with the upated on or beast gear and shell.
Replace converter with a good quality rebuilt one.
And double check flywheel for teeth wear or cracks.
Flush all transmission coolers and lines.
Replace all worn hard parts and bushings and thrust washers.
Rebuild and rebush and reseal or replace front pump.
Check center support of case for wear.
Use good quality seals and sealing rings thrust washers and bushings and clutches and gaskets.
Days of just throwing in a kit are gone.
A good quality rebuild on one that is in bad shape can run over a grand in parts and tools.

http://72.19.213.157/files/4L60ERepairs.html
http://72.19.213.157/files/4L60ERemoval.html

Good Luck
And let us know how it goes.
MT

You will need a few special bushing and seal and teflon ring installers.

old_master
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM
If the rear seal on the transmission leaks, fluid will leak externally, or into the transfer case. The seal can be replaced after removing the transfer case, the transmission does not need to be removed. Check the vacuum switch on the transfer case first, it can also cause problems sucking fluid.

lynndiwagon
07-25-2008, 03:44 PM
MT, all I can say is Thanks for the fine info and the informative links. I can tell you speak from experience. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again...

Lynn Wagoner

MT-2500
07-25-2008, 04:36 PM
You are welcome and glad to help.
Yes I have been there and done a few.
Cut my teeth on the old 2 speed cast iron automatics back in the 1950's
Good luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!