Air Conditioning

90gmcmoneypit
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
My 1992 ElDorado 4.9 has a 134a conversion kit installed on it. I am getting the "Very Low Refrigerant A/C Compressor Not Engaged" message on the info display. I bought a couple refill cans and have been trying to recharge the system, however the clutch on the compressor refuses to engage so it won't suck any of the refrigerant into the system. I'm putting the refrigerant in on the low side and it should be working but it's not. Any suggestions?

Random parts store guy mentioned something about jumping the power wire to the A/C compressor to a constant hot to engage the clutch and then putting the refrigerant in, but I've never had to do anything like that with past vehicles. Typically, I just hook up the can and squirt it in and eventually the clutch on the compressor engages.

DFBonnett
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
The computer has shut off the compressor to prevent damage due to low charge. Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to clear all codes. Hook up your A/C kit and open the valve. Start the car and turn the A/C on. It should pull enough out of the can almost immediately to keep the computer from shutting down the compressor and allow the recharge to complete.

Add your comment to this topic!