Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weird noise during tighter turns

kefoo
07-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi all. I have a 1996 Civic. For several months now when I make a moderate or tight right turn I can hear and feel something like a rapid dull impact on the underside of the car. It's almost as if a piece of rubber is flapping around under there. Both front axles are slightly over a year old, so I'd be surprised if it was a CV joint. I've poked around under the car and can't find anything loose. Before I call my very trusted but distant mechanic I'd like to see if this is something I can fix myself. Thoughts?

Kevin

johnb16a2
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi all. I have a 1996 Civic. For several months now when I make a moderate or tight right turn I can hear and feel something like a rapid dull impact on the underside of the car. It's almost as if a piece of rubber is flapping around under there. Both front axles are slightly over a year old, so I'd be surprised if it was a CV joint. I've poked around under the car and can't find anything loose. Before I call my very trusted but distant mechanic I'd like to see if this is something I can fix myself. Thoughts?

Kevin

Welcome.

Surpries happen every day, just because the axles are new doesn't mean one can't be flawed. None the less it could be a bad CV joint, bad tire, failing wheel bearing, failing differential, failing power steering pump... Is the tire rubbing on the fender liner? Is there enough lubricant in the transmission? Power steering fluid reservoir full to spec? It could be a slipping power steering belt. Does the effort of the steering change? I'd also try rotating the tires and see if that makes a difference. GL

Add your comment to this topic!