Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual conversion for vzv21?

toycam88
07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Has anyone heard of or sucessfully managed and manual trans conversion for the 2vz engine? :wink:

jdmccright
07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
No mention of a model yr. This can be a problem where OBD and ECMs are concerned when transplanting different yr trannys to cars. Also, if the model didn't have a manual option (not likely for the 6-cyl) then this becomes very difficult since the ECM would need to be changed as well. But look across the Toyota line for other vehicles that have the combo you're looking to get, then find a donor vehicle for the tranny and ECM. But I'll repeat...more background info on your vehicle would help us determine equivalents.

toycam88
07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
The model was made between 87-91 I believe. Mine is late 88. It has a auto tranny and would be interested in either putting a manual behind it. My 4cyl sv21 3sfe has more pulling power than the v6 and is manual.

toycam88
07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Alternatively, perhaps some mods to the v6 to give it a little more power would be helpful to find.

jdmccright
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Just stumbled on this link for exactly what you're looking to do...

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14096

I'm sure there are some goodies to buy to kick the HP up a little, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot. These engines were mostly bread-and-butter...all the modders didn't bother with it. If you do find stuff, it's usually high-priced and rarely worth the expense. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!