95 Wrangler. Crank but no start

soldierp89
07-23-2008, 01:30 AM
hey guys. my brother has a 95 wrangler with the 2.5 L/ AX5 and went mudding the other day and he went into this mudhole and got stuck. needless to say i had to bring out my cherokee and pull him out and push him home. now the darn thing wont start. it cranks over fine. its getting spark, but i dont believe its getting fuel. the plugs are completely dry after cranking and i know that there is fuel getting to the injectors. we ran the self diagnosis (5 Key turns) and it came up with a trouble code for 11. we looked in his haynes book and it didnt show an 11. well today i was flipping through my haynes for the cherokee and i came across a 11- No crank reference signal to the computer. i know that the CPS is blamed for a lot of problems with the engine because it controls everything. i figured since the 4.0 and the 2.5 are pretty much identical and mines a 94 and his is a 95 the pcm and ecu and all the other emissions crap should be nealy the same, could that mean the problem is a bad CPS. i know from the cherokee forum that alot of the engine malfunctions could be attributed to the cps. does this sound right? does anyone have any suggestions to what it could be?
thanks in advanced
Patrick A Ruth

fredjacksonsan
07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
No start is a symptom of a bad CPS. Since it's over 10 years old (you didn't give the mileage) that could be the problem.

You said you had spark at the plugs, but if there's moisture in the cap (the 95 does have plugs, cap and rotor) it could be reducing the spark enough to cause an issue.

soldierp89
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
the milage is 148k. yea i remember from the cherokee forums that the cps is notorious for making the engine not start and other mysterious crap. yea the cap did have water in it. well kinda alot. we then dried it out for two days and there was no water in there at all. then changed the plugs and wires. tried again and got more spark. but no start. i figured that if it was getting fuel, the plugs would be wet when we pulled them out, but they were dry, which is leading me to think that the injectors arent opening and i rembered that the cps controls that. is there a way to test the cps? the haynes book says to test the A and B connectors but i dont know which one is A or B or C for that matter. could the cps just go bad like that? i pulled it out today and it had a bunch of mud on it and some metal shavings. does this tell me anything? would that affect the cps at all? i didnt know it was pretty much a magnet.
thanks
patrick

Add your comment to this topic!