Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 LaSabre sounds like a Diesel

Marshall Dillon
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
At idle my 93 sounds like a loud Diesel knocking the noise is coming from near the drive belt. As soon as I give it just a little gas the noise goes away also when I removed the drive belt the noise was not heard. Anyone have any thoughts what it might be. Guys at Advance auto think it's the belt tightener pulley but it seemed fine when I took off the drive belt and checked the pulley to see if it has a lot of play and it did not.

HotZ28
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Check the harmonic balancer for free-play with belt off & engine off! Turn the outer hub clockwise & counterclockwise, to check for movement.

spinne1
07-23-2008, 04:19 AM
I also think it is your tightener. Your symptoms match what happens with a dried out tensioner pulley. If the grease ever goes away for whatever reason it will make a racket and also you will see it vibrating back and forth when the car is running. To check it, run your engine and look at the tightener and see if it is vibrating.

Also check HotZ's idea as well. Either way it may be obvious what the problem is after inspection.

Add your comment to this topic!