Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Camry Won't Start

lightningr6
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Girlfriend got up to go to work this morning, car wouldn't start. She has intermittenly had problems with this. Sometimes the battery is weak, other times its not. I go outside while she is trying to start it, and I think I hear a click, I think it is a dead battery. I start my car and put on the booster cables , still does not turn over. I am beginning to wonder if the click I heard wasn't a spark from an unsheathed wire when the system is energized.

I have 3 other possibilities.

1) Bad ignition switch. It has had service work for this before.
2) A shorting Park/Neutral start switch. Which by the way will not start in Neutral.
3) Short somewhere.

Can someone shed some light on possiblities.

somick
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I would start with checking all the contacts. Especialy the battery and grounds. If that looks OK, I would check batteries voltage. Suppose to be around 12.5 volts. The same voltage suppose to be on the starter contacts. Sometimes a whack on the starter with a hammer solves the problem. Then you know that this is your starter that gives you problems.

Good luck,

Sam

jdmccright
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
If a load test on the battery turns out okay, then check the alternator and the connections between it and the battery. Poor charging will also drain the battery eventually.

DFBonnett
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
It sounds like bad contacts in the starter solenoid. Here's a link on how to repair......
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

Brian R.
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
See also the FAQ thread on this topic.

Add your comment to this topic!