Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cavy's getting a make over! Audio advice please!

Thor06
07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Ok guys, I pulled the Cavy into the shop to get it cleaned uber good and get some minor things fixed before I bring it to Minneapolis and have to rely on it with no place to work on it. I have some loose wires in the steering column to fix, oil change, and the sound system is all jacked up. I originally was just going to strip the whole aftermarket sound shit out and go to stockish replacement Pioneer speakers but I realized that I cant really get shit for my sub and amp, and the 4 channel and good speakers were going to my friend in exhange for some brand new Pioneers, which he cant really afford anyway. SOO I just said fuck it and am going to keep it all and get it nice.

Here's the plan: I have JBL 5.25" components up front, Eclipse 6x9 coax's in the back, a Sony 50W x 4 ch amp, a 10" MTX Thunder 8000 sub, and a Pioneer 760W to drive the sub. I was happy with it, but I think I might make a couple changes.

First change is the single sub. My sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil, wich means I have to run them in series so I am only putting out about 190W RMS. I think I am going to find another 10" sub so I can get it to 4 ohms and 380 RMS. I dont think I'll be able to find another Thunder 8000, so I might pick up a different one and have two mismatched subs or sell the 8000 and get two Kickers or something. The Pioneer drives two subs just fine, but I might want to get a different four channel.

What I am really asking about is the CD player. I am definately on a budget, but not a fixed price. I want to spend whats necessary to have a good setup, but nothing more. Theres two things I am after, iPod hookup and Sirius hookup. I know theres two ways to hook up Sirius, either direct with a cable or have it broadcast the satellite signal over a FM signal so you can use it with any radio. Same goes for the iPod. So my question is, is it worth it to get the hook ups or is using the FM converter deal for Sirius and the iTrip?

vanilla gorilla
07-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I'd trash that pioneer amp. I hate those things

SilvrEclipse
08-08-2008, 06:14 AM
If you have a dual 4ohm sub you can run the amp at 2ohms or 8ohm load. So you should be putting out more power than 190rms. If you went with a dual 2ohm sub you could run a 1ohm load which would give you the most power but the amp may not be stable that low.

Add your comment to this topic!