Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replaced trunk and glove box locks on Lumina

Manowarr
07-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I went to an Autoparts store and bought a lock kit for the trunk. Then I went to the salvage yard and got a different lock for the glove box.

The purpose for doing that was to prevent snooping and theft by people who may be working on my car or others. When I go to the mechanic I give them the ignition key and the door key. I can keep papers or other semi valuable things in the glove box and trunk and they won't be able to get to them.

I do have to carry two extra keys around but it gives me some piece of mind.

sad-lumina-owner
07-21-2008, 04:56 AM
I went to an Autoparts store and bought a lock kit for the trunk. Then I went to the salvage yard and got a different lock for the glove box.

The purpose for doing that was to prevent snooping and theft by people who may be working on my car or others. When I go to the mechanic I give them the ignition key and the door key. I can keep papers or other semi valuable things in the glove box and trunk and they won't be able to get to them.

I do have to carry two extra keys around but it gives me some piece of mind.

(1) Only problem is they might need access to the fusebox in the glove compartment. (I guess that depends on the job though...)
How did you get a key for the glovebox? Does that mean the junkyard has a copy? Hope you don't live too close to them.

(2) Problem with trunk is...you lend the car or whatever, and they get a flat. Now how do they get to the spare? Some advance planning might be required.

Add your comment to this topic!