Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wierd problem with chime and dome light

mjtr21
07-20-2008, 11:41 AM
my cousin has a 1998 Chevy Cavalier 4 door. just recently she has been having problems with the dome light and chime. she had to take out the actual light from the dome lamp because it was constantly lit. out of nowhere she got in her car and drove off and looked up and noticed the light was on. it has been like this for about 2 months now. so the only way to temporarily fix was to remove the bulb, and when i did it was HOT. after that she noticed the chime doesnt work either. she left the headlights on a few times and nearly killed the battery. i checked all the fuses related to this and all are okay. im thinking theres a switch somewhere thats sticking or something. anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

J-Ri
07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Should we assume that the dimmer/dome switch is not all the way to the dome light position?

If you checked that already, then it is probably a door switch showing a door open. I don't know for sure where the switches are on the 98 Cavaliers. If it's not in the door opening, then it is in the latch assembly in the door. I'd check the drivers door first, since it gets used the most.

DGP1985
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I had the same problem with my dome light...appenrently the guy told me it was my multi-switch that had to be replaced (no clue what it is...)

For a 150$ I figured I'd just take out the lightbulb and stick on of those 10$ battery operated lights on the cover, cheap and easy fix :P

Classicrocjunkie
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd be more inclined to think its a door jam switch. Most like the driver side.

I had both of them go in my 04 sunfire. Except mine thought the doors were always closed and the radio wouldn't shut off when you opened the doors. Quick and easy fix on a coupe. The 4 doors rear doors are a beeeotch.

jacjm
07-27-2008, 12:09 PM
first time here! not even sure if what i'm doing is proper protocol! BUT-- i sure do need to know more about the dome light circuit, and the door switches! (anybody ever find out where they are hid at?) is there a relay for this ckt.? any and all info is mucho appreciated!

Jacfourteen
07-29-2008, 12:24 AM
first time here! not even sure if what i'm doing is proper protocol! BUT-- i sure do need to know more about the dome light circuit, and the door switches! (anybody ever find out where they are hid at?) is there a relay for this ckt.? any and all info is mucho appreciated!

Welcome! What year/model are you working on? My 97 z24 the swithes are in the front part of the door (near the firewall), I think the newer ones (03+?) are in the actual door latch. Thats all I know but if you let us know the year model maybe someone else can help. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!