Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 mercury mystique with a big problem

jeremy06
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
well lets see 4cyl,automatic anyway I was going to the store got there came out and the car wouldn't start just turn over till the battery died! So I replaced the battery and low and behold with a battery at 12.6V I got 3 weak single cranks out of it and nothing. I was baffled. I filled up the car with gas, checked the fuel pump and relay both working, checked for spark which I had, and checked the timing belt which was tight and moving on the cam sprockets as it should. Now the advice from my tech gave me was to replace the starter and check the flywheel while doing so for missing teeth? has anyone else run into a similar problem?

inafogg
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
i'd be looking at the starter or a loose/bad ground.Good Luck

jeremy06
07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Replaced the stater, no change. Had the started checked at autozone and it tested out fine. Took the battery to autozone to have it tested as well and it failed so I have replaced it today and no change. Next is to test and or replace the ignition switch? Anyone have any suggestions? Or anything else to check?

Where is my 3.4
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");var tcdacmd="sa=a;sz=3;ad";
well lets see 4cyl,automatic anyway I was going to the store got there came out and the car wouldn't start just turn over till the battery died! So I replaced the battery and low and behold with a battery at 12.6V I got 3 weak single cranks out of it and nothing. I was baffled. I filled up the car with gas, checked the fuel pump and relay both working, checked for spark which I had, and checked the timing belt which was tight and moving on the cam sprockets as it should. Now the advice from my tech gave me was to replace the starter and check the flywheel while doing so for missing teeth? has anyone else run into a similar problem? Where did you check for spark at the cap or coil wire or at the spark plug did you check fuel pressure

jeremy06
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't know how to check fuel pressure, so no. But the fuel pump is working. I checked spark at the sparkplug.

rhandwor
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Use a DVOM and check voltage at the battery. Then have somebody try and crank the car you still have 12 volt. I lost a battery on my truck this week it was 12 volt. dropped to 4 volt when trying to crank. I got a new one free under warranty. Then check voltage at the main battery terminal you still have 12 volt. Check the small wire going to the solenoid it should have 12 volt. and check voltage on both sides of the relay.
Reply back if you don't find it and also what you found.

jeremy06
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Okay the car is fixed and before I tell you what was wrong. Let me tell you how important the basics are to check and check over the whole car before starting repairs before drawing to conclusion.

I was pulling my hair out on this what I and others (mechanics shop)thought was going to end up being a timing belt! A $575 job which I almost got.

A/C compressor/pulley was seized! So I replaced the A/C compressor and problem solved.

shadrackur
02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
My 1995 has the exact same symptoms...turned over but would not run.

Had fuel but no spark.

Seems to be the 20amp fuse/relay in the power located in the power distribution box (just behind the battery).

Add your comment to this topic!