Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 ram van 1500 wont start

ronaldstep
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
was driving on the expressway this morning, van died motor just shut down, got it towed to my garage, I checked for spark and fuel, got both, checked compression it was ok, it turns over and will not start any ideas

alloro
07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Any computer codes?

rhandwor
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
A plugged air cleaner will cause a no start.
Use a noid light and check the injectors are getting power. If no power check fuses,

bignoisey
07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
If you have access to a ODB II tester that would be where to start. The trouble codes will at least show you where to begin looking.
If no ODB....
Does it seem to be firing at all, even though it won't start?
Did you check for spark at the spark plugs or at the Distributor or coil? A bad Ignition wire maybe? I think the 99's still had a distributor, If so open it and make sure it rotates when you crank the engine. Check for a bad rotor or cracked cap.
Are you sure fuel is actually coming out of the injectors? Try pouring a small amount of gas into the intake and see if it starts briefly. That would tell you if it's not getting any fuel. Be careful to replace the air filter if you do this because it might backfire and shoot flame through the intake.

notmymechanic
08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a 1994 250. I changed my distributor/rotor and fuel filter with no luck - just had my Ignition coil changed at the mechanic so as not to spend more money - that worked until I got home....now I have to make a post as I get nothing after turning the key...not even 1 click!

good luck

rhandwor
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Wiggle the battery terminals if loose tighten them. Use a volt meter and check the voltage if above 12 volt try to start if it drops below 10 volt buy a new battery. If everything is ok check if the small wire to the solenoid is getting 12 volt when turning the key.

Add your comment to this topic!