how to get my fan clutch off!!

shodid
07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Will someone tell me the secret in how to take the fan clutch off without the belt moving so i can change my water pump!! I rented the big wrench for it,but pulley still moves..i even tried useing a 3lb hammer to hit the wrench but it still moved...only if i knew what to do to stop pulleys from moving when i turn the big nut!! someone help!!!

muff34
07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
see if you can rent a strap wrench, remove the belt and put strap wrench in its place

jonnik
07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
If I remember correctly, the big fan nut is a left hand thread.

wafrederick
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
There is a special wrench to use and I hate it.I hate it because it is too thin and breaks real easy.I use an air hammer with a long bit sharpened to a chiseled edge in the end of the flats of the nut.

MT-2500
07-19-2008, 08:49 AM
10-4 on the air chisel.
Just do not over do it.
MT

Cusser
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I just did this three weeks ago, on my 1994 Suburban, 5.7 liter engine, if that's similar. Leave serpentine belt on, use 1/2 inch or 13mm box wrench to remove the four nuts holding the fan clutch to the water pump, all right-hand (standard) thread (if the whole fan clutch rotates, push down hard on the belt while doing this); the fan stays attached to it. Remove the serpentine belt, make note, see diagrams, take digital photo so you can re-orient it correctly. Loosen and detach the upper radiator hose at the radiator to allow clearance. Ease out the fan and fan clutch as a unit, tilt, whatever. Use a socket (14mm, I believe) and an extension to remove the four water pump bolts, again all right hand thread. Jiggle and pull forward to get the water pump off. I bought lifetime water pump at CarQuest for about $47, and it came with the two small gaskets. I used a torque wrench (30 ft-lbs) to tighten the four water pump bolts. Coolant will leak out if you don't drain it in advance, and just replace with new coolant if it's been used two years. Anti-freeze is toxic to animals who might drink it.

NoEcm
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

I had the special tool that bolts to the pulley and still could not get that fan clutch off.

I finally ended up cutting the thing off with a sawzall. I unbolted the fan blade and moved it towards the back before sawing the thing off. I was able to reuse the fan blade but the clutch was toast.

Interesting, after I removed the water pump I clamped the whole thing in a vise. Using a big socket along with an impact wrench, I tried to get that big nut off with no luck. Only after heating the nut with a propane torch, and then using an impact gun, would the nut come off.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!

j cAT
07-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

I had the special tool that bolts to the pulley and still could not get that fan clutch off.

I finally ended up cutting the thing off with a sawzall. I unbolted the fan blade and moved it towards the back before sawing the thing off. I was able to reuse the fan blade but the clutch was toast.

Interesting, after I removed the water pump I clamped the whole thing in a vise. Using a big socket along with an impact wrench, I tried to get that big nut off with no luck. Only after heating the nut with a propane torch, and then using an impact gun, would the nut come off.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!

this appears to be another area that locktight was used , my transmission drain pan had the lock tight on it ,,,had to get that drain plug glowing red before its grip was broken....pan was off tranny of coarse..

shodid
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Shodid...I apreciate everyones help but I got it off with my air chisel...put is on the nut...first thing I thought...here goes my nuckles!!! but I put a lil pressure on the tool and zip it went...just that easy...dont waste ur time renting a tool it dont work!!!(autozone) Sorry for takeing so long for replying!

Add your comment to this topic!