Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Jimmy airbag light

snorander
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I have a 2001 Jimmy 4x4 4wd 4 door and the airbag light is on. I have hooked it up to two different scan tools and I get an "unable to communicate" error when I try and read the airbag codes. I am however able to read all the other codes, emission, etc. Any one have any thoughts on how I can remedy this problem? My truck has no other warning lights on or problem codes & everything works fine with the exception of the airbag light being on.

On a separate note does anyone know if in the State of New Hampshire that having an airbag light on will cause it to fail inspection as I need a new sticker in a couple of months.

Thanks!

-Steve

MT-2500
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Are you reading sir bag capable scsnners?
Does the transmission and body and ABS computer read out data?
If so and no communcation tfrom SIR computer the sir bag computer is dead or off line.
Check all fuse and plug in and wiring.
You might have a dealer or a good repair shop with a full capable scanner test it.
Does air bag light come on key on and go or stay on or flash?

snorander
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Are you reading sir bag capable scsnners?
Does the transmission and body and ABS computer read out data?
If so and no communcation tfrom SIR computer the sir bag computer is dead or off line.
Check all fuse and plug in and wiring.
You might have a dealer or a good repair shop with a full capable scanner test it.
Does air bag light come on key on and go or stay on or flash?

I was at my brother in laws shop with 2 different full capable scanners.....not sure about being able to read out transmission & ABS, I'll have to try that next time I see him...When I turn the key on the airbag light flashes and then goes solid and stays on. I will check fuses & wire connections.

Are there any fuses in particular I should look at? Do you know where the SIR Airbag computer is located?

Thanks!

-Steve

MT-2500
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Check all fuses.
If no communacation check data link circuits.
Any U or body codes?
Make sure all other computers are coming online.
They are networked together.
A bad on can knock out other ones.

Sometimes you have to start unplugging to find the bad one.
The SIr computer is under console carpet between seat.

Add your comment to this topic!