Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Micro Sol & Micro Set

Mojo_stevo
07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Has anybody noticed that these two products are just common household products?

Micro Sol: The stronger stuff (red bottle).
Smell it, what does it smell like to you? Diluted ammonia. That's all it is, Windex without the food coloring.

Micro Set: The less aggresive stuff (blue bottle).
Smell it... come on you know that smell. Distilled white vinegar. I spilled some and my room smelled like a salad bar for a week. :banghead:

Any how much is it? $2-$3 for an ounce? When you can get a gallon at Longs for a buck... Food for thought.

I may be wrong, but that is exactly what that stuff smells like.

evilbob
07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I've often wondered that about the Micro-set. Never had any Micro-sol. Maybe someone should experiment with ammonia and vinegar?

MPWR
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
And your point here was...?

Sure, Tamiya acrylic thinner also smells alot like isopropyl alcohol- but it's not.

Liquid cement smells alot like methyl ethyl keytone- but it's not.

Could you use MEK as cement and isopropyl as thinner? Probably. Would it work as well as products specifically formulated for those purposes? Probably not. You could even try thinning paint with MEK- or why not jet fuel- but would you really want to?

Are you really worried someone might be making some money on a product similar to one you can easily buy in vast amounts? Are you going to use a gallon of setting solution? If you didn't spill it, how long would that $2 bottle have lasted you?

If you really want to save every last dollar whenever possible, don't you think you might be happier with another hobby?

Mojo_stevo
07-13-2008, 10:28 PM
If you didn't spill it, how long would that $2 bottle have lasted you?

Lol, a while, I'm sure of it. I actually spilled both, but salvaged about 1/2 bottle of each. (One today, which prompted me to post my world renown find). I get so caught up with the task at hand that I forget to recap the bottle. I'll learn one way or another. Draw backs of a limited work space I guess.

If you really want to save every last dollar whenever possible, don't you think you might be happier with another hobby?

Never.

I'm sure there is more to them than those sole ingredients that I listed off, I guess it was just the "wtf/ ah-ha" factor when I first realized it.

You do raise a valid point. I mean seriously what am I going to do with 2 gallons of a product that I will only use a few brush tips worth of in a month.:lol:

davezilla
07-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I've often wondered about that myself. :confused:

btw, I hate those tall plastic bottles all Microscale products comes in. They're just asking to be spilled. I transferred my microsol and set to tamiya glass jars to prevent accidents. :D

Add your comment to this topic!