Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission fluid leak at torque converter cover plate

marco2379
07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Hello all,

I just bought a 1996 Rodeo (127K miles, A/T, 6cyl, 2wd) and I noticed transmission fluid leaking on the floor of my garage, so I crawled under and wiped away all leaked fluids and ran the vehicle raised on jack stands to duplicate a fresh leak, and the only leak that I could find is coming from the in between the bell housing and the torque converter cover plate. I'm not quite sure why this would be happening, but I did check the fluid level on the recessed bolt (with the engine running) underneath and fluid ran out.

Am I getting this transmission leak because the transmission was overfilled by the previous owner or is there some kind of problem with torque converter?

The truck rides and shifts through all gears smoothly, including acceleration and when braking, I wouldn't have even suspected a transmission problem if it wasn't for the leak.

Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

FL 3.2L
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Was the trans in neutral when you checked it?

marco2379
07-14-2008, 12:11 AM
No the transmission was in Park, The Haynes manual was kind of vague about the procedure other than insisting that the engine must be running when opening up the fill/check plug.

Would that have anything to do with leak coming from in between the bell housing and the torque converter cover plate?

FL 3.2L
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
No. But you may think you have a large overfill because fluid will pour out if you are in P compared to N. It should be in N when topping off or checking the fluid level.

marco2379
07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Okay, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I check the fluid level. I just started dropping the transmission today so that I could visually inspect the interior of the bell housing and to chase the bell housing leak to its source, so we'll see what is really going on with this thing, and I can already tell that the transmission has been removed before.

Cat Fuzz
07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Probably the torque converter seal or front pump gasket leaking.

marco2379
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM
It was in fact the torque converter seal. I dropped the tranny and put in a new seal and the leak went away.

Add your comment to this topic!