Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical problems with my 1996 buick regal custom

dadarkone0
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
my regal custom for the longest has been having electrical problems i had to constantly charge the battery whenever i wanted 2 go somewhere i changed the battery and it ran fine for a while then it cut off on me while driving and that day we found out it was the alternator that was killing the battery so we changed the alternator and it ran fine for a while after that then suddenly when i stopped driving for a little while i say a week tops my batteries dead again so i took out the lights inside thinking they didn't shut off when i left the car and that worked for about a day :banghead: so at this moment im charging the battery again and i decided 2 c if anyone else is having the same problem or had the same problem and could help me i will appreciate any help i receive and thank u for the time you took to post it

DrewDodson89
07-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I know it is very basic but have you tried checking your wiring? Such as making sure all of the connections are clean (Shiny silver) and that they are tight enough.

Mickey#1
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Do you have a mutimeter with a 10 amp (at least) range?

dadarkone0
07-15-2008, 01:42 AM
if your talking about the wiring from the battery to the connectors then yeah i have checked it and when i changed the first battery out there was dried acid cake on from the old battery but i cleaned that off when i put in the new battery its a side mount battery and as far as the multimiter your going 2 have to xplain that 2 me because i dont know that much about cars just a little but i guess thats why im here 2 learn

HotZ28
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM
if your talking about the wiring from the battery to the connectors then yeah i have checked it and when i changed the first battery out there was dried acid cake on from the old battery but i cleaned that off when i put in the new battery its a side mount battery
If you had that much corrosion, then evidently the corrosion got between the cables inside the terminal and has worked it's way down into the cables. You need to cut and pull back the rubber insulation on the connector to see what’s inside. In fact, I eliminated all that OEM junk on mine years ago and installed industrial soldered terminals and gold plated terminal studs on the battery & have not had one single electrical problem since. :shakehead
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9701/p1120wf8.jpg

dadarkone0
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah i havent been on in a while but the problem is solved turns out the entire time my glove compartment latch was broken so when it was closed it didn't register it as closed and the bulb would stay on 24/7 i have since took out the bulb and fixed the compartment and have not had a single problem since well at least an electrical problem

Add your comment to this topic!