Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pioneer premier headunit - power IC damaged

Tonglebeak
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I've had this headunit (forgt the exact model) for about a year. Well out of nowhere today, the speakers shut off (subs are still playing though O_O), and a message saying "Power IC Damaged" displays on the headunit. It still lights up an displays the time when it's powered off, but forwhatever reason when turning the music back on I get that message. I haven't cranked it up severely, running at 3/4 of maximum power (45/60 volume), and nothing's changed with my setup since I installed this thing.

What exactly does "Power IC damaged" mean and is there a way I can fix it?

Tonglebeak
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Just a quick update: I left a speaker unhooked earlier today while I was moving things to mount my sub box for once lol. The speaker wires were sitting on the trunk floor, grounded out. Yay for me.

I took care of that, pulled the fuse and let the headunit clear, then restarted it. At first it appeared to be ok, but then went back to "Power IC damaged." Oddly enough, the subs were still playing, and responded to the volume control knob. I would've that the message was telling me that the internal amp was fried, but if I'm able to jack up the volume and have my subs respond right along with it, then wtf?

PaulD
07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I am sue the subs don't play off the internal amp, they have a seperate amp playing from the RCA outs. Are your mid/tweets playing from the internal amp ? if so, do they still play ?

Tonglebeak
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, my subs play off the amp in my trunk, I just never realized the sub preamp actually had its own internal amp, I thought the signal was generated by the same amp that plays the speakers, which do not work at this time :(

PaulD
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
there is a preamp that runs the RCA's and feeds the internal amp as well, the internal amp is a different circuit. The unfortunate part about using the headunits built-in amp AND the RCA's is the output difference. The RCA's start clipping at like 3/4 volume (sometimes more), whereas the builtin amp is putting out max power at like half of the volume setting. YES it's gey as hell but that's the way they are designed.

Tonglebeak
07-14-2008, 07:03 PM
:\

I yanked off the cover and took off the heatsink for the IC, I'm about to desolder it. My only issue now is finding a new one, a PAL008A IC

AWP9521
07-15-2008, 09:03 PM
You can order one straight from Pioneer, $50.95 plus shipping and they are in stock.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=PAL008A

Wait a second! Doesn't Premier units have a 2 year warranty? You said you had it about a year, why arn't you sending that in for service?

Tonglebeak
07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
You can order one straight from Pioneer, $50.95 plus shipping and they are in stock.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=PAL008A

Wait a second! Doesn't Premier units have a 2 year warranty? You said you had it about a year, why arn't you sending that in for service?

Because a) I have no receipt, and b) I got it used off ebay.

Tonglebeak
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
DEH-P1Y is the model btw. Got it for like $100 off ebay a year ago, not how sure the headunit is considered to be. The chip is $50, I could get a new decent headunit (with a bit less power, but preamp voltage will remain teh same) for $170, so I'm not sure wht the best option would be at this point.

Add your comment to this topic!