Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cause of Transfer Case Failure

PeteA216
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, I'm not new to automotive forums, but I am new to the Sonoma section. I'm looking to buy a '00-'03 Chevy S-10 or GMC Sonoma ZR2 but I keep hearing a lot about how common it is to have the transfer case go on people. Does anyone know what causes such a common failure? Is it strictly the transfer cases with the available auto 4x4 or is it all transfer cases prone to self destruction? I appreciate any advice or information. Thanks in advance!!

wafrederick
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I never heard of that happening.One failure is never checking it during an oil change,fluid level checks are a must during an oil change and most oil change places skip this step.1999 and up GM transfer cases use a special fluid,Auto Trac II from the dealer only and not ATF.

jdmccright
07-17-2008, 09:29 AM
The earlier versions of the Jimmy/Sonoma with the electronic shift switch had issues with the encoder motor and controller to a small extent, but most of the time it was due to the vacuum-operated front differential lock-up...usually a torn actuator or bad relay. I wouldn't worry about it if the truck has been taken care of. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!