Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Chug-A-Lug or Surge

robbie_NH
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Since I bought my '96 two years ago (now 65K miles), it's had an engine problem where at highway speeds, either on level road or especially going down a slight hill the engine speed frequently balks or has this swift forward-back-forward-back motion in the car similar to rough idling or engine missing. I spoke to a Caprice owner and he called it Chug-A-Lug and said that the dealer reprograms the engine computer. Indeed, my RM never had this engine program update performed. For $80, the dealer reprogrammed it and now it runs great!

bennylw
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Since I bought my '96 two years ago (now 65K miles), it's had an engine problem where at highway speeds, either on level road or especially going down a slight hill the engine speed frequently balks or has this swift forward-back-forward-back motion in the car similar to rough idling or engine missing. I spoke to a Caprice owner and he called it Chug-A-Lug and said that the dealer reprograms the engine computer. Indeed, my RM never had this engine program update performed. For $80, the dealer reprogrammed it and now it runs great!
Hey, thatīs good news. Is there anybody out there who knows what exactly is being reprogrammed? It would be great to know if itīs possible to do with my own ODB-cable and laptop? I have a -95 RMW with ODB-I but the problem should be the same? Is there a "highway mode" in these cars to save gas that needs to be altered (or shutoff) when the engine has gone 30-40K miles or something?

Add your comment to this topic!