Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Went on Road Trip, now feels sluggish at high rpms in 1st

Blazerboy1287
07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey everybody, I have a 1997 Eclipse GS-T, only mods of note are catback exhaust, intake, and short throw shifter... as well as the free ones (not including honeycomb).

I recently went on a trip from Los Angeles up to Santa Cruz, and total drive mileage was close to 600 if I recall. The vehicle had gotten an oil change recently, plugs about 10k ago, and has been religiously maintained. I didn't notice any problems on the trip, other than some slightly rough idling towards the end of the trip when i stopped to gas up. This disappeared the following day.

What I have noticed is that the engine seems to be not as responsive since the trip. This is most noticeable in first gear, especially if I'm in the upper third of the RPM range and trying to build boost. Gauge says boost pressure is there, but the butt says otherwise. It almost feels like something is clogged. However, if I floor it in those ranges, it seems like its old self, perhaps a tad slower.

Anybody have any idea on where to start looking? I suspect the trip may have something to do it, and I did regularly achieve speeds over 100mph for stretches of 50 miles or so (101N at 10PM). Any help will be much appreciated.

-Phil

PS: All hoses are attached, and I am going to make a boost leak tester to see if that is a problem. No vacuum leaks are evident, neither are oil leaks, and the oil is in good condition. Manual tranny fluid is brand new, as are most of the other fluids in the car, and all are topped off. Battery is new as well, as it conked out (bad cells) after the trip. Oh, and the vehicle has 123k miles currently.

LandoAWD
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Logger?

Blazerboy1287
07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Sorry I don't have a logger, but there's no CEL. Like I said, the car is still mostly stock.

LandoAWD
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Is it sluggish at "high RPMs" in other gears?

Blazerboy1287
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Nope, only in first gear. It almost feels like i'm catching it off-boost, but the boost never builds up... and by "high rpms" I mean from 4500 on up.

Blazerboy1287
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, so boost leak tested the car... and there's a leak from the area near the return spring on the throttle body. I'm thinking TB shaft seals, and ordered those and TB gaskets from Mach V. Anything else I should do while I have the throttle body apart? And how hard is it to replace the seals?

Add your comment to this topic!