Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

opinions on NHRA shortening the quarter mile to 1000 ft.

chevy2808
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
:smokin: im just curious as to what peoples opinions are to the NHRA proposing to drop the quarter mile from 1320 to 1000 feet in response to the Scott Kalitta fatal crash. (R.I.P. Scott we will all miss you) The NHRA believes that shortening the length will help reduce crashes because the shorter the cars are put under all the stresses, the less likely they will have catastrophic failure. Any responses will be appreciated.

MrPbody
07-10-2008, 08:07 AM
It will take some "getting used to". ETs will look a lot more impressive, but MPH will look like something's broke...

Most tracks around the country were built with 5 second times and sub-300 MPH in mind. Only the ones built in the last 10 or so years allow for such speeds. Many of the older ones are hemmed in by zoning or boundary issues and can't expand their shut-down areas even if they WANTED to (spend the money). I'm of the opinion each track should have distance according to their capability to handle speeds. 1/4 of a mile will ALWAYS be 1,320 feet. While I understand the problem, I think a reactionary "fix" is seldom appropriate. Each one should be dealt with as an individual situation. That would create new challenges for race teams, too! (makes things more interesting)

Well, you ASKED... (:-

Jim

chevy2808
07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
:smokin: interesting. what do you mean though by presenting new challenges

98BlackTransAm
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
are they seriously considering changing it? i mean opening up the throttle completely and going 1000 ft isn't really any safer than before...and even if they shorten it to 1000 there are still going to be plenty of cars trapping deep into the 100's if not higher. i'm just so used to cars being compared in the 1/4, i'm not trying to start running a 3/16th mile :grinno:

chevy2808
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree that it would be a shame to shorten the quarter mile, but at the same time, the NHRA must have good reasoning behind their theory. if those 320 feet will save future lives and prevent the losses of professionals like eric medlen and scott kalitta then im all for it:smokin:

CassiesMan
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Its stupid. It is no different than with the "assault weapons" ban where they limited your magazine size. With that, I said "the second ten or fifteen rounds are no less dangerous than the second five or fiteen".

That first 1000feet is no less dangerous than the last 320feet.

AWP9521
07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
My local track went from 1/4 mile to 1/8 mile about 10 years ago, the reason being it was safer and the speeds would be lower. (Actually it was in response to him having an accident his car on the big end in Florida and got hurt pretty good) Of course the racers had mixed reactions and it was about 50/50 liking or hating the idea.

Ironicly the owner decided to take another of his cars in an "exibition" run down the track and rolled it 5 times right smack at the 1/8 mile mark. He was unhurt but couldn't say the same for the car.

Personally I too like doing the 1320 foot dash than the 1000 or 660 foot runs and think NHRA is making a mistake reducing the length of the track. They at one time mandated cutting down the amount of nitromethane allowed in the racing fuel, why not cut it down some more since it is obvious that the engine builders have found more ways of extracting more power on less of a concentration.

Plus I think it goes against the whole thought of Drag Racing in the first place, "An accelleration race between 2 vehicles, first one crossing the finish line wins", pats on the back are given to the person who broke a speed or ET record in a class, speed and time is what it's all about. Crashing and risking death is part of the game, and every participant that ever races (or raced) on a drag strip knew the risks before strapping in.

sub006
01-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Didn't NASCAR change their "250s" and "500s" from miles to kilometers during one of the '70s energy crises? The races were almost 40% shorter, but didn't require nearly the equipment adjustments going from 1320 to a 1000 foot dragstrip would. On the other hand, lots of people have adjusted to running 1/8mile.

oldguy2
04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

How many drivers and teams are complaining about the current length??

Add your comment to this topic!