Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing ac compressor 2002 Sable

Raggaemon
07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
I tried re-charging the ac unit but I noticed there was no vacuum at the low pressure valve and the compressor motor wasn't moving.

After trial and error I learned today that the ac compressor is not working and I will replace it.

Are there any special tools needed for the job?

reekor
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Are you sure that you know what you are doing ?

I tried re-charging the ac unit but I noticed there was no vacuum at the low pressure valve and the compressor motor wasn't moving.

After trial and error I learned today that the ac compressor is not working and I will replace it.

rhandwor
08-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Basic hand tools,vacuum pump, gage set of hoses, new compressor,filter dryer, expansion valve or tube, filter dryer 3 or 4 cans of refergrant, compressor oil and leak tester.
This you may want to farm out.

Jrod7571
08-22-2008, 06:19 AM

I have a 98 sable and just replaced mine with just a by-pass pully, because the part is so expensive here in NY.
Their are 4 bolts that hold it in. you have to remove top and bottom hoses to get to the compressor. Also disconect a plug that go's to the compressor. once the compressor is free from bolts, belt and plug, you will need to have a friend to pry the motor back about 1 1/2" to 2" so that you can squeez the compressor out of the motor from up top. Good luck. it will take some time.

Jrod7571
08-22-2008, 06:32 AM
No special tools needed. Just siconect the battery and discharge the compressor system by pushing in the needle on the free-on intake nozzle. (its like deflating your car tires)

Then remove all tope hoses and bottom hoses so that you can get to the 4 long bolts that hold in the compressor. remove the belt from the pully and then unplug the sensore that should be pluged in under the compressor.

once the compressor is free, you will need a friend to pry back the motor about 2" so that you can squeez out the compressor from the top.

Goood luck

Add your comment to this topic!