Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering wheel won't unlock

lansdowne
07-09-2008, 04:32 AM
My daughter has a 2002 L-Series Saturn that sometimes causes great problems (as in last night) because the steering wheel won't unlock. She inserted the key in the ignition but the key woulnd not turn and the wheel would not unlock. Eventually we "shook" the wheel as it were and it "unlocked". Is that common with the L-Series and/or does it sound like anything specific....maybe something inside the steering column????????????
Sounds expensive (doesn't everything)??
Any advice wowuld be most appreciated
Lansdowne

lansdowne
07-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Further to my original message...it seems to start fine when the wheel doesn't lock but when it is locked it seems as if the key won't go into the ignition. It will eventually go in but its hard to get the wheel to unlock. Does anyone know anything about such an issue???????????
thanks
lansdowne

whenhalefreezes
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I had that happen to me for about a week straight on my 2000 LS2, and all I finally did was bounce the front end up and down hard enough to get it to unlock. We had three people bouncing on the front bumper to get it to lift enough to unlock. I haven't had problems since.

stoner1
09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Had same problem couldn't get to unlock called towtruck he tooka a hammer used backof it taped it all around the key hole and bam got unstuck. Somehow spring wouldn't go realease all the way he then aske dif I had any WD-40 squirted it in keyhole and never happened again by year.

lansdowne
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry I have not got around to responding...she got a new key made and, thankfully, the problem seems to be solved.
Lansdowne

Add your comment to this topic!