Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The tire wobble check.

3echo9
07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
What's the wobble check for suspension problems? Anyone?

Is it if the top and bottom if the tire has play in it, replace the ball joints?

What is it if there is play from side to side...9 and 3 o'clock?

92 Buick Lesabre 130k.

Jrs3800
07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
You have to be careful with the wobble check...

I have at times seen people with play in the wheel replace a Ball joint only to have the same issue.... I have seen them replace the tie rod end for slight play that ended up being a bad wheel hub assembly..

Generally 12-6 play could be a bad ball joint... 9-3 could be a bad inner or outer tie rod...

If you think you have any play at all you need to check it very closely...

ChemMan
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd say you would have to put the car up on a lift and take the tires off for a closer look. Any bad wear patterns on the tires?

3echo9
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd say you would have to put the car up on a lift and take the tires off for a closer look. Any bad wear patterns on the tires?

Yes, a bit. There is noticeable wear on the inner portion of the tire tred.

ChemMan
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Yep, something is definitely wrong there. Probably not a tie rod end, more like a ball joint or wheel bearing. Pull the tire off with the wheels hanging free (ie, don't jack up the car under the control arm) and wiggle things around. There should not be any movement in the wheel bearing. Try prying against the ball joint to see if it moves around, it should not.

3echo9
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Yep, something is definitely wrong there. Probably not a tie rod end, more like a ball joint or wheel bearing. Pull the tire off with the wheels hanging free (ie, don't jack up the car under the control arm) and wiggle things around. There should not be any movement in the wheel bearing. Try prying against the ball joint to see if it moves around, it should not.

I'll take a look at it this weekend. Thanks.

3echo9
07-13-2008, 02:40 PM
OK.

Put the car up on jack stands. Removed tire, caliper, and roter.

Definate play from the 3-9 o'clock positions.

Had my assistant (the 13 yr old) turn the steering wheel back and forth looking and feeling for the "bump".

I did notice a bump holding onto the tie rod end on the driver's side. I could feel it a little on the passenger side but not nearly as well. It could be the vibration from the other side.

The outer tie rod looked good. It rotated smoothly. But I couldn't tell if it was loose from the end closer to the wheel or the end closer to the center of the car. I tried to push back the rubber boot covering the inner tie rod but couldn't get it beyond about an inch from where it was clamped. I did have these tie rods replaced trying to fix this problem a few years ago and it seemed to work for about a week. Could they have gone bad that quick? I also noticed that the boot covering the tie rod end did allow for water to mix with the greese. When I went to wipe away the excess greese some water oozed and squirted out.

The inner edge of the tire has worn faster than the rest of the tire as well.

I did not notice any movement, aside from the rotor, in the hub assembly.

Thanks for the help.

3echo9
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Just in case anyone else has had this issue.

Instead of guessing and replacing random parts, which is exactly what I as doing to this point, I took the car to a Buick dealer.

They diagnosed the drivers inner tie rod was bad.

And after the $40 after market tie rod (the GM part was not in stock) and another $310 for labor, front wheel alignment, and tax. The wobble is gone as far as I can tell. I haven't driven on the highway yet.

Jrs3800
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
$310 in Labor??

Did they remove the rack from the car?

3echo9
09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
$310 in Labor??

Did they remove the rack from the car?

No, I don't think so...

The $310 was for labor, front wheel alignment, and tax.

Add your comment to this topic!