Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

antifreeze in sparkplug tube

TMI51
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I have a 2000 rodeo 3.2, 2wd, automatic. a week ago temp shot up to just short of the H mark for about a minute then droped back down to normal. Shortly after that the engine started to run ruff. when I got it home I checked for codes and got a 300 for misfires. I then checked the connections and plugs and found that the #4 driver side center sparkplug tube had antifreeze almost covering the plug. blew out the antifreeze, pulled the plug, the tip was light brown with no moisture on it. I put every thing back together and drove it for 20 minutes, no problems. I turn engine off and let it set for 2 hour then started it up, same misfire problem. checked sparkplug #4, antifreeze was in sparkplug tube again. No antifreeze in the oil. how can the antifreeze get into the sparkplug tube without getting into the oil. has anybody else had this problem, if so is their an easy fix.

FL 3.2L
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Hate to say it, but search "cracked head." If the crack doesn't communicate with an oil passage, you won't get mixing of the fluids.

Gizmo42
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Agreed, you have a cracked head. A certain production run was prone to cracking. Unfortunately it sounds like you got one of those.

TMI51
07-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I need to wait at least 4 to 6 months before doing any major repairs because of financial reasons. I'm thinking about using Bar's leaks product, probably the Head Gasket fix. Has anybody used these products, do they work if so, for how long and are their any side effect to the cooling system.

Gizmo42
07-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Might work, might not. I never trust using that stuff in anything.

Add your comment to this topic!