Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Belt

Kimmo
07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo with 118,000 miles. Runs well. The timing belt has never been replaced. Manufacturer recommends that it be replaced at 90,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this, i.e., had it replaced or not. My mechanic said that if it breaks I'm looking at a new engine and there are no warnings when it happens. All comments are appreciated.

FL 3.2L
07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Most likely you will NOT damage the engine when/if the belt breaks. If you are over 100K, at that age, I would have it done. I had mine done by a shop at 60K, then I did it 84K later. Both times it was early, I think. The belt looked great at 84K. I think it easily could have gone 100-120K. The tensioner tends to fail first. It sounds like rod knock. Replace the tensioner and water pump at the same time as the belt with Isuzu parts.

Cat Fuzz
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Your mechanic is wrong. These are not interference engines assuming you have the V-6. The 4 cylinder is a different story though. It is interference and severe engine damage will result if the belt breaks.

You should still have it done just to avoid being stranded when it does break.

FL 3.2L
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Good catch! I assumed V6...

okmech1
07-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Cat Fuzz,

I had done some research previousely and found out that the 3.2, at least the DOHC like in mine was an interfence?

FL 3.2L
07-19-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t325554.html

Did you see this thread?

okmech1
07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Ah, I see it now! That's why I asked it as a question, I didn't really know. I think it was while reading in the Haynes manual that it was stated to have an interference engine, but as I read through the OEM repair manual I bought, it doesn't say one way or the other.

Kimmo, I would also agree with FL, if you can, do the tensioner and water pump along with the belt, and do it in the near future. I replaced mine at about 65K, but didn't know at the time about replacing those other items. I am actually planning on doing that when I break the 100K mark, just to be safe!

There was also a thread I remember reading about starting the motor after you replace the belt and before you put the whole covers, serp belt and fan back on, just to make sure you got the timing right.

Good luck!

FL 3.2L
07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
2eye is an Isuzu legend! I believe what he says. However, at 118K in a 13+ year old vehicle, I'd say you're running on borrowed time. The water pump, timing belt, tensioner and its pulley should be swapped. If the water pump is original, it too can fail and take the timing belt with it. I still wonder if something can change with an engine's internals and present a risk of valve damage should the timing belt break, but 2eye has never saeen it, so....

stanger42
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
There was also a thread I remember reading about starting the motor after you replace the belt and before you put the whole covers, serp belt and fan back on, just to make sure you got the timing right.

Good luck!

Turn the engine over by hand (large socket on a breaker bar turning the crank) before you actually try and start the engine. Should turn freely with no snags. If you're off by even a tooth you could potentially wreck the engine. Had mine done at about 130K. Most cars can go 100K before the manufacturer recommends replacing the belt... doing it earlier seems like a waste of money.

Cat Fuzz
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Turn the engine over by hand (large socket on a breaker bar turning the crank) before you actually try and start the engine. Should turn freely with no snags. If you're off by even a tooth you could potentially wreck the engine. Had mine done at about 130K. Most cars can go 100K before the manufacturer recommends replacing the belt... doing it earlier seems like a waste of money.

Again, the 3.2L V-6 is a non-interference engine. There is a lot of literature out there that says it is, but they are wrong.

boritz
07-21-2008, 04:24 AM
x 2 what Cat Fuzz says :iagree: .

This dispute crops-up repeatedly due to some erroneous sources out there :banghead: .

Quoting from JLEMOND, a recognised authority (his capitals) "THE ISUZU V6 ALL OF THEM FROM 92 THRU THE 2004 ARE ALL NON INTERFERENCE ENGS EXCEPT ONE - THE NEW 3.5 DI ENG THE MOST EXP TO FIX AND IT IS AN INTERFERENCE ENG" from http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=11647 (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=11647)

Kimmo
07-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all your comments about my timing belt. Did have it replaced as well as the water pump and that tension thing. Runs great. As it turns out, the old belt was full of cracks so I truly lucked out.

Thanks again, all your feedback was appreciated.

Kimmo

Add your comment to this topic!