MUST SEE!!! Zonda VS Murciélago - TopGear video

Doucette
03-09-2003, 02:04 PM
The vid (be patient, may take a while to start):
http://66.111.50.50/~admin2/rf_videos/road_tests/TopGear_Zonda_vs_LamboMurc.avi

Weird, he calls the Murc's doors "gullwing doors". I thought gullwing doors were like the DeLorean.

(BTW,found it from this thread, give props to DNovo! :) : http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=823782&t=7525)

Tony_Ensemble
03-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Is this a new video or the one that was circulated a few months ago?

Jason Doucette
03-09-2003, 04:08 PM
He mentioned a few times that with the AWD lambo, that you had to take it easy on take-off, because the clutch may slip. I was under the impression that you needn't take any precautions with an AWD car, because it is almost impossible to make the wheels slip, and therefore you can let go of the clutch while revving the engine quite high with no fear of losing traction. This seemed to imply that there was also no fear of clutch slippage at the same time. What do you guys know about this?

Here is an article that pops to mind in regards to this:
Acceleration Nation July 99 (http://www.stevenericgetz.com/viperstuff/PM%20ACCELERATION%20NATION%20JULY%2099.htm)

In particular, in mentions the AWD 3000 GT. To quote the article:

"This is the only all-wheel-drive car in this test. That means no wheelspin. Launching the Mitsubishi is so simple, it's like flying into outer space–even a monkey can do it. Just tach up the DOHC twin-turbocharged V6 up near its 6000 rpm power peak and drop that clutch."

I also realize there is a difference between a 320 hp engine and a 570+ hp engine, but I would imagine the clutch for the Lambo would be built to handle the extra torque.

What do you guys think?

TexasF355F1
03-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Tony, this is the same one that's been circulating for sometime now.

Tony_Ensemble
03-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Jason,

I didn't think I had to worry about clutch slip when I bought the car. But I soon learned otherwise. Its not real easy to do but if your reving the engine agressively and pop the clutch it will happen. (smelly buisiness).

-Tony

Doucette
03-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TexasF355F1
Tony, this is the same one that's been circulating for sometime now. Sorry about that. I haven't been here that long.

Tony_Ensemble
03-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for taking an interest and posting it, Doucette.

SuPeRcAr_MaN
03-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Connecting........................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

TexasF355F1
03-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Sorry about that. I haven't been here that long.
Doucette, no need to apologize, I was just stating that since tony asked about it. Some people probably haven't seen it and would like to see it, so thanks.

Doucette
03-10-2003, 06:18 AM
:)

That's true. If I haven't seen it, others haven't also. You can never download enough Murc videos!

reciprokal
03-10-2003, 06:54 AM
it took me an hour to download., then when i opened it with QT... it said.........."this file is corrupted"...

:mad:

Doucette
03-10-2003, 07:11 AM
I received it at 115k/sec using DAP and it played fine. I could even skip ahead, very rare with large movies.

GeO_FX
03-10-2003, 12:19 PM
ok 1 what you have to do if i doesnt work is, right click on the murci zonda vid in windows media or something the look at the error report and it will take you to a relevent site so you can watch it, after d/loading it unpack it play i ton the d/loaded player and then u can play it on the media player.

2. AWD and 4WD are kind of different, first AWD is japanese (there we go all explained) therefor it tends to be far more reliable, as for dropping the clutch while revving, if you rev too high the the gear cannot grip as the belt is spinning too fast for it to get in.

whilst in my brothers subaru (which he races silly people with god damn corsas.......) he accelerates far quicker than any other type of drive vehicle, also from a standing start i.e. traffic lights (remember stop on red) then revving to about 5000 he lets go of the clutch and away we go... heres a vid to show you what a standard subaru is like. if jeremy had released it when revved he probably would of won. (personally i would of floored it as it was definetly unfair)

when u watch the video, take a close look at his clutching!!! btw when he laughs its well funny.

Will get link soon, i seem to have forgotten it :(

Jason Doucette
03-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Tony and GeO_FX, thanks for your replies.

I can understand why a clutch can slip. But what I cannot understand is why a 3000 GT can rev at redline (6000 rpm?) and release the clutch, and have it grip with no slippage, and why a Murcielago cannot do this at redline. GeO_FX also mentions that no slippage is possible in his brother's Subaru. Again, I understand there is almost double the tourque in the Lambo, as well as a significantly higher rpm at redline, but we are also talking about a machine that costs 7 times the price. I would assume its clutch would be designed to handle such torture.

Also, "AWD and 4WD are kind of different, first AWD is japanese (there we go all explained)" is an insufficient explanation for me :) Can you please elaborate? Is there any significant differences in the drivetrain?

Thanks

GeO_FX
03-11-2003, 09:40 AM
i agree totaly that it should grip, but as jeremy said Audi have targeted more creature comforts such as handling (4WD) and inside it feels alot more comfortable, the clutching is 'like stepping on a marshmellow, and changing gears is like pushing a leaf out of your face...also it was 'supposed' to be far lighter and more quicker than it's predecssor 'diablo' weighing more and only 21BHP more.....but i believe audi have turned the lamborghini marque into a more upperclass sports car, like mercedes but without the sport :rolleyes: . i've found that it is possible to redline the murci and still slam on the gas but it damages the clutch very badly, the zonda looks no where near as nice as the murci, cause your only gonna look silly if you race a zonda and they are extremely rare;)

'AWD' was designed by the owner of the subaru company, he has designed it slightly different although i dont know how 'sorry i cant tell you that' i suppose you could just put t down to non-japanese flaw
Gav:)

The_Duke
03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Doucette
I received it at 115k/sec using DAP and it played fine. I could even skip ahead, very rare with large movies.

I am also having a very hard time playing this... What is DAP, or what program/technology do I need to play this video. I cannot play it on my MAC nor my PC.

Doucette
03-11-2003, 07:42 PM
DAP = Download Accelerator Plus (DAP):
http://www.speedbit.com/

Doucette
03-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by GeO_FX
the zonda looks no where near as nice as the murci, cause your only gonna look silly if you race a zonda and they are extremely rare;)I agree with this. The Zonda has nothing on the Murc in the looks department. The Zonda is, however, much more rare, but I'd still be purchasing the Murc! :)

GeO_FX
03-12-2003, 08:47 AM
definetly agree there doucette, the lambo provides everything that the diablo lacks and as he said is better than any ferrari, talking to my brother yesterday he told me that 'jeremy obviously favours the zonda and wants to show that it is an amazing car, this could not be shown if the murci beat it or was even close.....' also i believe that the track race was absolute **** as the murci is 4WD and the zonda is an FR........how'd he manage to skid only the back wheels that much in a 4WD?

also the other race driver just went full out with a FR in the zonda.....which is more dangerous as he nearly hits the murci anyway... quote 'as its 4WD i have to get it rolling gently or ill cook the clutch' hmmmm dont think so..if a real race driver for the murci was in it he would have floored it straight off the mark not caring about the clutch as its a race...4WD always has advantage on acceleration and the murci would of gotten to the top speeds quicker therefor beaten it...

btw if you would like to find some racing clips go to www.scoobynet.co.uk

this is a subaru forums but they have a lot of vids, just cant find the mr2 v scooby one again...

Gav

The_Duke
03-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Ok, DAP allows you to download the video quickly--though I have been having problems doing even that--but I want to know what program you all have been using to actually view the file.
Thanks

GeO_FX
03-12-2003, 11:27 AM
hi duke...i used DivX Alpha 2.0 player and it worked fine, then it enabled me to play it on windows media player, it just cant read the graphics for some reason, hope i have helped.

Gav

TexasF355F1
03-12-2003, 12:16 PM
quote 'as its 4WD i have to get it rolling gently or ill cook the clutch' hmmmm dont think so
You have to, you will cook the clutch bad, even Tony says that you have to roll it gently. Here's what Tony said:
I didn't think I had to worry about clutch slip when I bought the car. But I soon learned otherwise. Its not real easy to do but if your reving the engine agressively and pop the clutch it will happen. (smelly buisiness).

The_Duke
03-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the tip on the DiVX player, but my computer is crapping the bed, so I will have to find another way to get that vid. I wonder if they sell them on tape or DVD, hehe.

Doucette
03-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by The_Duke
Ok, DAP allows you to download the video quickly--though I have been having problems doing even that--but I want to know what program you all have been using to actually view the file.
Thanks Oh, sorry. I just use Windows Media Player 9.

Add your comment to this topic!