Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Grand Am Won't Start

usmcdvldog95
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
I have a 2003 Grand Am, it won't start. We've replaced:
Fuel Fuse
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
Ignition Module
Ignition Coil
Cam Sensor
Crank Sensor
Battery

Once we replaced the pump, it ran fine for a day, the next day it shut off while I was driving, but started back up after a few minutes.
The 3rd day it shut down 4-5 times while being driven, and now it will not start again at all. I've tried the passlock but the security light never has come on, but I figured I try it anyway.

Any other suggestions?? I don't have anymore money to take it back to the dealership, after they told me all I needed was a new pump. I've put about $600 into it so far.

Also, it throws no codes on the scanner.

xeroinfinity
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome to AF.

What engine size ?

Have you checked your fuel pressure since you replaced the pump ?
If its low it could be a bad fuel pump regulator.
Also how are the plugs & wires ?

Is it getting good blue/white spark ?

Phi11y
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
I also have a 03 grand am SE, 3.4L V6 with similar problems, I replaced the fuel pump and it intermitantly gave me problems starting, now it won't start at all. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but i check the fuel rail for any fuel pressure and i have none.

xeroinfinity
08-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Welcome to AF Phi11y !!

I would check the fuel pressure. You can also pull the fuel pressure regulator vac hose off and see if fuel comes out, that would indicate a definate problem with the FPR.

Also check the wire harness for the fuel pump back under by the gas tank. They're prown to get cracked wires especialy if they hav been moved much when dropping the tank.

lelaric
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
i am having a similair situation on my 03 grand am they (the dealership) replaced the fuel pump about a 3-4 months ago i did notice that the dash lights came on then when the key is advanced to the start position the lights all go out accept for the service engine soon light the test port is now off as the scanner reports that it is disconected. The service engine light flutters in time to the fuel pump relay but all other noises and lights are not working in fact after key is returned to off position the clock has now been reset and the lights are dim for about 30 seconds then increase in brightness and after another 6 seconds lights return to normal intensity. I have check the battery and it is good i got it to start again and drove it home did not notice anything wqeird on the 20 minuet drive but the car when shut off wont start again and the battery had a higher charge then when i tested it before the drive so the altinator is fine. Sorry for all the details but i am a little observant.

xeroinfinity
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Welcome to AF lelaric !!

Sorry to hear about your delima!

If your clock reset, then you have a power issue, the lack of.
Make sure the battery has 12.4-13 volts with the engine off(14 plus volts when the engine is running).

Is this a v6 or 4 cyl ?
So is it getting fuel up to the injectors ?
Is it getting good spark ?

If your security lights flashing, try the security relearn procedure, found here.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=950333

lelaric
08-03-2009, 01:37 AM
sorry for the wait no first thing i did was check the battery 12.5 and it was 12.79 when i got it home so battery and alt are good all my tools are on a long weekend ( buddy went to canada) to get it started the last time i jumped it while doing pass lock reset but was in a real hurry as the car was in the parking lot at my wifes work and security was giving me the eye its the v6 it has to be sumthing with the electric system as i have said the port says connected right up untill i turn to on and all other lights and normal sounds stop just the fluttering service light the sound of the relay and the pump kicking after several seconds the interior light brightens up and cluster lights come back then a few more seconds later the light returns to its normal intencity and the buzzers starts to work then to although a few tims the buzzer was going off even though the lights were off key was not it the ignition and the doors were closed... i should have some time tomorrow to look at it some more after i drop her off at work in the reliable jeep

superben
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
hey xeroinfinity, my 99 grand am does that security flash thing for 10 min about 2 times a month.

Just wondering for the "security relearn process" step #2 says observe that it fails to start- - - - - can i do the re-lern process ahead of time?

Or do i have to wait till the dang thing goes blinky again?

Its super annoying cause it only seems to happen when i'm running late!!:eek7:

Thanks

gravis2000
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
That is strange one that is for sure. This is a long shot but try disconnecting the exhaust from the manifold. Again it's a long shot but maybe something in the exhaust like the converter is getting blocked bouncing around causing insides to move around and the car to stall. It's a cheap and easy thing to check. I had a real strange issue with filling my tank that fixed it self I still can only guess as to what happened. Let us know. Good Luck.

xeroinfinity
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
hey xeroinfinity, my 99 grand am does that security flash thing for 10 min about 2 times a month.

Just wondering for the "security relearn process" step #2 says observe that it fails to start- - - - - can i do the re-lern process ahead of time?

Or do i have to wait till the dang thing goes blinky again?

Its super annoying cause it only seems to happen when i'm running late!!:eek7:

Thanks

If you did the sequence 3 times, and its still coming on from time to time, then their's most likly something in the security system not working.

I find its usualy either the lock cyl or the whole switch.
And if you have a bunch of stuff on your key chain, this too can cause the security light to flash and not start.
Might even blow out the key hole with some compressed air, never know.

cboy2us
08-08-2009, 09:28 AM
lelaric it sounds as if you have a bad connection somewhere between the power and the on causing the fuel pump to draw more current than can pass through the bad connection and drop the voltage on the circuit.
(http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=623236)

Add your comment to this topic!