Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying an LS - What to look for?

robk46
07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm considering buying a used Lincoln LS v8. I've done some research and figured an '03-'06 car would be my target vehicle. I do a lot of driving, and most of my own mechanical work, so I'm not really afraid of a car with 50k+ miles on it. My current ride, an '01 SES duratec Taurus has been very reliable, but I'll probably give it to one of my kids in another year or so and want to get something rear wheel drive. I think a used LS is the best deal on the used car market today for a sporty ride and rear wheel drive. My question is, if you were looking for a good used v8 LS, what options would you want, and what would you not want. Also, where are the mechanical trouble spots on this car?

Thanks!

shorod
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
If you stick with the '03-'06, there really are not too many mechanical trouble spots on the car. Many of the bugs have been worked out by that point.

Some of the features that were on my '04 LS V8 that are not on my 2007 Infiniti G35 that I miss are the cooled seats, the upgraded audio system, and the moisture sensing windshield wipers. I'm not sure if the wipers are an option. I had the mid-level audio system in my LS. It sounded tons better and got louder than the Bose Premium system in my G35. I've heard THX-certified navigation system in the LS is even better than what was in my car. Ideally I would have liked to find an LSE, but they are not very prevalent in the used car market here.

I'm not going to say I miss my LS, but it certainly was an attractively-styled car that had quite a bit of fun factor to it as well.

-Rod

robk46
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I've been looking at used G35s and TLs too. The LS seems like the most bang for the buck. I may hold out for a G8 GT, but really don't want a car payment. I drive about 30k miles a year, so I really don't want to buy something I have to pay too much for. I just want to step up from the Taurus, and really want rear wheel drive. The TL is nice, but has too much torque steer.

biglinc1
07-05-2008, 03:44 PM
i just picked up a black 05 LS couple weeks back. had looked at a black 05 LSE but someone else grabbed it before I was ready to actually do some trading. I'm impressed with this car I bought, could use a bigger trunk and a bit more back seat room but still they drive great and handle on the road like a much heavier sedan. Reminds me a lot of the BMW 5-series :grinyes:

lumberjak1984
07-05-2008, 04:09 PM
i just picked up a black 05 LS couple weeks back. had looked at a black 05 LSE but someone else grabbed it before I was ready to actually do some trading. I'm impressed with this car I bought, could use a bigger trunk and a bit more back seat room but still they drive great and handle on the road like a much heavier sedan. Reminds me a lot of the BMW 5-series :grinyes:yeah i'm 6'2 and its a lil uncomfortable wen making a sharp turn at stops sometimes cause i put the seat way bak cause im tall and i have to lean up to look or look through the rear window...but it drives like a dream it's very quiet with more then enough horse. great mpg's for a v8. i think it handles nice, but u do feel the weight and looks banging. i would not trade in my ls 2001 for the world...

biglinc1
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah i'm 6'2 and its a lil uncomfortable wen making a sharp turn at stops sometimes cause i put the seat way bak cause im tall and i have to lean up to look or look through the rear window...but it drives like a dream it's very quiet with more then enough horse. great mpg's for a v8. i think it handles nice, but u do feel the weight and looks banging. i would not trade in my ls 2001 for the world...
i need plenty of leg room too. i'm about 6' and i can push the elec gas/brake pedal button and move those things all way down too which helps out. first couple days i had this thing i noticed how much more pwer it had than my V6 I was used to. man it can peal out too easily :tongue: Gotta be a bit more careful on takeoffs....but i'm learning haha. i got that alpine 6-disc stereo in this one, and can add on that sirius system to it if i wanna....havent decided if i can afford that yet or not. dont think i'll change out the head unit, never had anything this cool before - always had the el-cheapo's before

lumberjak1984
07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
i need plenty of leg room too. i'm about 6' and i can push the elec gas/brake pedal button and move those things all way down too which helps out. first couple days i had this thing i noticed how much more pwer it had than my V6 I was used to. man it can peal out too easily :tongue: Gotta be a bit more careful on takeoffs....but i'm learning haha. i got that alpine 6-disc stereo in this one, and can add on that sirius system to it if i wanna....havent decided if i can afford that yet or not. dont think i'll change out the head unit, never had anything this cool before - always had the el-cheapo's beforerite...the stock stereo headunit is so nice i dont want to change anything about the interior. excepet for some new speakers. mine are kind of worn

biglinc1
07-06-2008, 07:09 PM
you could have my car :D i really have a hard time adjusting to owning a Ford product - since this is new to me.... its kinda hard to put a chevy guy into something beside a chevy....

Add your comment to this topic!