Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help with engine light, sensor problem

dtrixny
07-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I Have a 1996 quest gxe. I have a the engine light on. I took it in to see what it was, the code came back knock sensor & also the o2 sensor "oxigen". I got the knock sensor fix & also the o2, but when the computer was reset it came back 132 which is 02 sensor I was piss I thought cause I bought an aftermarket maybe was bad, cause that had happen to a friend of mines, so i bought it from nissan. went and got the code clear like 5 minutes later same code oxigen " o2 sensor. Talk to few people/mechanics and no one can seem to come up why is still doing that. the van drives it wasnt for the lights you wouldnt know i had sensor problems. Because of this problem I cant get an inspection which will expire in 2 month and DMV wont let me regestor the van... Please do any one know if im missing something some where that every one is over looking?

tempfixit
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I Have a 1996 quest gxe. I have a the engine light on. I took it in to see what it was, the code came back knock sensor & also the o2 sensor "oxigen". I got the knock sensor fix & also the o2, but when the computer was reset it came back 132 which is 02 sensor I was piss I thought cause I bought an aftermarket maybe was bad, cause that had happen to a friend of mines, so i bought it from nissan. went and got the code clear like 5 minutes later same code oxigen " o2 sensor. Talk to few people/mechanics and no one can seem to come up why is still doing that. the van drives it wasnt for the lights you wouldnt know i had sensor problems. Because of this problem I cant get an inspection which will expire in 2 month and DMV wont let me regestor the van... Please do any one know if im missing something some where that every one is over looking?

Check to make sure that the wiring going to the sensor are not broken. What are the code numbers you are getting? Post them and we will see if we can help more.

inafogg
07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
you should have a 2 digit # for obd1 & a 4 digit # for obd2 check d/door for production date ie 9/1995....so we no which system you have. there is no code 132 that i see for nissan

tempfixit
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
you should have a 2 digit # for obd1 & a 4 digit # for obd2 check d/door for production date ie 9/1995....so we no which system you have. there is no code 132 that i see for nissan

I am assuming the code is P0132 which is Sensor Circuit High Voltage, Bank 1, Sensor 1. Is this the sensor you replaced?

dtrixny
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Yes thats the code bank one just like you said....I had bought an after market when the first time when I got to code, which one was bank1 and also the knock, got the knock sensor job done and also replace the 0132 bank one like you said.. code were clear and reset and ready for inspection. went to get the inspection done light turns on check engine cant get my inspection they check whats wrong the bank one again is up, he said maybe is the sensor it self is no good, he said sometimes after market sensors dont work well. I bought a new one from nissan clear the code 5 minutes later same code, engine light on again. he is stuck looked under to see if theres more sensor by bank one he is trying to get a second opinion and im doing it on my own cause i need my van really bad...

tell me what I need for you or could it be.. thank you

dtrixny
07-09-2008, 01:53 AM
production 12/95 by ford for nissan if that means anything to you

tempfixit
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
production 12/95 by ford for nissan if that means anything to you

Where is the sensor that you have changed located? Go to the Free Online Manual thread and it will show different locations on vehicles.

To me Bank 1, sensor1 means left bank (futherest from fiewall and sensor 1 means upstream sensor (before catalytic converter)

Since the Ford engines have #1 clyinder on the right side (closest to firewall) I am not sure if that is Bank 1.

No insult meant but could you be changing the incorrect sensor?

Let us know sensor location.

Are you appling any anti-seize compund to the sensors? If you are and not using the correct compound you could be damaging the new sensor. new sensors come with the correct compound anti-seize already applied.

Normally the knock sensor on these 3.0 engine rarely fail, when the code for knock sensor is activated something in or on the engine is producing a vibration or ping throwing the code. Did you do the changing of the knock sensor yourself or did you have it repaired? I would also double check to make sure non of the wires for the sensor or the wiring harness to the sensor are broken.

dtrixny
08-01-2008, 04:28 AM
An update, a family members that knows alot about cars, came for vacation and stay over at my house probably found the problem. I told him how many mechanics have been looking at my van and how much i have spend and I cant pass inspection. he looked at van and ask me if main wire was giving power to the sensor,I said I have no clue. He opens the hood looks and follows the wires and finds the main wire going to the plug where the sensor gets plug to was broken and crack. He called me over showed me the 3 wires, 1 was fine 1 was crack and the other totally broken off. tomorrow he is going to fix the wires and im crossing my fingers and hope thats it. he said is like 95% chance thats the whole problem...to be continue

dtrixny
08-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Ok guys problem fix, my van pass inspection and i was able to register my van. The problem was that the main wire was busted. No one ever thought about looking at the van from the top to the bottom of the engine, instead everyone was putting it on the lift and looking up and from that point of view the main wire coming from the engine couldn't be seen except for the plug. Funny thing is 3 different mechanics looked at the van and my cousin thats not a mechanic but knows about cars found the problem in less that 5 minute anyways thank you so much

Add your comment to this topic!