Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dash Lights and Clock Don't Turn On

blackbeltbaby
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I just bought a '99 Grand Am GT last week. We bought it during the day and didn't think to check to see if the dash lights worked. Unfortunately when we got it home we realized that the dash lights and the clock radio light do not work. Our first thought was that maybe the lights were burned out. However, when I turn the key to battery power, the radio clock works but the dash does not. As soon as I start the car, the radio lights go out too. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated since I cannot drive my car at night right now.

inafogg
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
simple things 1st!!have you ck the dimmer control??

blackbeltbaby
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I've tried turning the dimmer switch up and down and nothing changes. I don't know of any way to check it other than that.

Hungrycat7
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Fuses?

blackbeltbaby
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we have checked all the fuses and they all are perfectly fine.

xeroinfinity
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Welcome to AF blackbeltbaby !!

Did you check all three fuse boxes ?
pass side A, & G could affectt these, drivers side, check H, I and K i think...

Notice anything else not working ??

blackbeltbaby
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
We did check every fuse in all 3 fuse boxes. The only other thing odd with the car that we noticed was that several warning lights were on, but was told by the mechanic that it was related to a sensor with the brakes that need replacing. Which makes me even more perplexed since I know that the warning lights on the dash do work.

xeroinfinity
07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you have your hands full.
Did they give you any trouble codes ?

Only other thing could be the wiring has been messed with in the dash.. :dunno:

It is probly going to need a Dealer scan tool to figure this out, with out any codes youre just guessing.

Andrew Martin
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
That dimmer switch could very well be bad, or even just unplugged. A local salvage yard would probably only charge several dollars for one. That's a good thing to try before going to any mechanics and doling out hundreds of dollars for something that's only worth a few bucks. =P

xeroinfinity
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Good Point Andrew! Its pretty easy to pop off the bezel that holds the dimmer/fog switch.
Use a straight screw driver or panel tool , lift on one of the corners and it should pop out, here is a pic...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/AUTOMOBILES/dimmerremov.jpg

J-Ri
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Xero, is there anything you didn't paint green on that car? :)

Try moving the key around in the on position (with the engine off incase you bump "start") and see if you get the lights to flicker. Since they work in "ACC" but not "ON", it makes me think ignition switch. :2cents:

xeroinfinity
07-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I Do like to paint stuff , and green is one of my favorites. :lol:

I would agree with the ignition switch possibly being the trouble, I've seen a couple that did simular things with a bad switch.
Thier is a testing procedure here.....
Ignition switch-Lock Cylinder check/replace 99+ Grand am's & some other N-bodies (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=715987)

Add your comment to this topic!