Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Riv front end problem - new member

BuffMike
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi, Just joined the forum. I recently acquired a 95 Riviera. The car is in great shape except I have two issues maybe someone can help with.

1. When going over sharp bumps or potholes I get a reverberation and kickback that can be felt in the gas pedal. I have been trying to narrow it down and it seems to be mostly when the bumps are hit with the right front wheel.

2. When idling in drive such as at a stoplight there is a rattling, almost like a sack of rocks coming from the engine compartment accompanyed by some vibration. If I give a little gas, keeping my foot on brake, it goes away. Does not happen anytime else while driving but I can hear it briefly when I turn the engine off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

HotZ28
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Have you checked the Trans or motor mounts, to see if they are broken.

BuffMike
07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I havent had anything checked yet, was looking for suggestions first.

HotZ28
07-05-2008, 08:38 AM
2. When idling in drive such as at a stoplight there is a rattling, almost like a sack of rocks coming from the engine compartment accompanyed by some vibration. If I give a little gas, keeping my foot on brake, it goes away. Does not happen anytime else while driving but I can hear it briefly when I turn the engine off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mike Be sure to check the outer ring on the harmonic balancer, it has a rubber bond between the inner & outer ring. When the rubber bond breaks between the two, it will make a metallic knocking sound at idle. While the engine is cool and before starting, place your hands on the outer ring and see if it can be moved back & forth. If so, you have found the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!