Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

acheiva poors gas out of the tail pipe

pigola76
07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I am attempting to repair a 92 olds acheiva 2.3 sohc, on my initial diagnosis I found good compression, good air and spark. The regulator was passing fuel through the diaphram so I replaced it. It would start but runs rough so I went after the rest of the fuel system. I got pulse out of all four injector clips with a noid light but on inspecting the plugs found number one cylnder to be running lean (white electrode strap). So I replaced the number 1 injector and now it pours fuel out of the exhaust when I unclip the injector no change, I assume because it is drowning out the cylinder. In replacing one injector and a regulator I went from not enough fuel to way to much, I can't keep running it with the gas like that because it will wash the cylinder and destroy the rings. I am an engine builder by trade not a fuel guy so any help would be appreciated......thank you. - pigola76

xeroinfinity
07-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Welcome to AF !!

Are the plugs fauled out, or are they firing at all ??

pigola76
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
The plugs are firing on other three cylinders and I replaced the plug when I replaced the injector. I checked the spark on all four cylinders with a cop spark tester and got spark on all four.

Nice to meet you, hopefully the brains of AF can help me, lol.

xeroinfinity
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
If they are firing then you probly hav an injector clogged or stuck open dumping fuel into the cylinder(s).

pigola76
07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Ya pretty sure it is the one I replaced...but then again I did buy it from.....ugh.....Autozone. Guess it could be another faulty part from your local neighborhood discount parts store. Was trying to fix it on the cheap but I suppose I may have to break down and buy an o.e part. Still if anyone has any other ideas feel free to enlighten me. Thanks again

xeroinfinity
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Check your plugs, if they are all 4 wet then they arent firing and it would explain why thier is fuel exiting the exhaust.

Add your comment to this topic!