Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

kicker solobaric subs

coled91
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
im looking into buying some kicker solobaric subs. they would be two 12" in a dual ported box. should i run them off two amps or one amp. i was thinkin about 2 amps cause one amp that would put out that many watts would be alot but i was lookin for some feedback and feeback on the subs too if you think they are good or not

PlayStation3
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
if u use 2 amps the enslure needs to have 2 chambers not 1 ( no amp puts out excatly the same amount of everything) where as with 1 amp you would be ok and what is your budget and what are the ohms for the subs if u want help finding an amp.

coled91
07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
well i was wonderin what the difference was in ohms cause i dont know the difference between 2 or 4 ohms

PaulD
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
the ohm load of the speaker determines how much power the amp will produce. The lower the ohms, the more power it will pull from the amp (as long as the amp is capable). Just look at the sub info, it will tell you how many voice coils it has and the impedance (ohms) of each coil.

coled91
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
ok well i was going to do 2 ohms then. i know the kickers and the subs will be pretty expensive i want the solobarics that put out 1500 watts each, and i would like to get a kicker amp and i was lookin i figured i would get two kicker 1500 watt amps what do you think?

coled91
07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
im looking to buy two kicker solobaric l5 12" subs in a dual ported box. I wanted to run one amp if not too expensive i think i might have to run two though? can i have some tips on amps please and also if i run one amp do i have to do stereo or mono or what? and what is multichannel? thanks

coled91
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
and also do i buy an amp based on the RMS or the peak output of the sub?

PaulD
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
speakers don't "put out" power, they absorb the power the amp feeds them. A little strong on Kicker equipment, it's ok but overpriced.

I moved your 2 posts from the newbie thread here too.

mono = 1 channel
stereo = 2 channels (left + right)
multichannel = more than 1 channel, often a 4 cahnnel amp for front left and right and rear left and right. Or for seperate midrange and tweeters up front.

When looking at power for amps and speakers, RMS is the only useful term. If you get 2 subs that are dual 4 ohm, then you can wire them to a 1 ohm load. Look for a mono class D amp that puts out around the power of the combined 2 subs into a 1 ohm load.

Add your comment to this topic!