Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Think of picking up a Sammi

Teenwolf
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I have access to a 88.5 Sammurai and would like some input. It hasn't been run for awhile and I have seen it sit for over a year or more. I know it needs a fuel pump at the tank and I know I should take the carb and air cleaner off to clean them. I don't want to just put a battery charger on a crank it over. Should I take the plugs out and drop a few spots of oil down the cylinders and turn it over by hand. Should I just turn it over without starting it with the starter. Should I drop the oil pan clean and replace with new oil. I would like to do this right so that I do not ruin what could be a good vehicle. It has the 1.8ltr and it is 4x4 which is going to make the perfect beach vehicle. I might even turn it into my pizza delivery vehicle. Some thoughts would be great.
I know I am not on this site much but I do look at the threads for fun. Thanks for your help.

Teenwolf

cramer_77
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
If its been sittin outside for a while first things first, drain all old gas out and put new gas in, change fuel filter, and give it a tune up.(distrbutor cap, rotor, etc) Battery, take it out have it test at Autozone or something, chances are you have a dead cell and it won't hold a charge or carry a load to start it. Next as far as your engine being dry(no oil) i would give it an oil change and when you put the new filter on fill the filter up with new oil but REMEMBER to subtract what you put in the filter from the amount that it tells you for an oil change (ex: if it calls for 5 qts on the oil change and you put in 1/2 qt then you will only wanna put in 4.5 qts) then yes i would put some oil in the cylinders when or if you change the plugs. Not a whole lot just a few drops. Another thing you could do is before you start it disconnect the distributor so it won't send a spark to the plugs and crank it over till you see the oil pressure gauge come up, then reconnect distributor(purpose behind that is so it will prime your engine bearings for startup vs being dry). Then after that go ahead and start it. Just a few things to help you out especially if you plan on driving it.

Add your comment to this topic!