Page updated on 06-24-2018

Part Throttle Lock-Up Solenoid, Where is this located?

fanworks
06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, mostly curious right now, but periodically the computer picks up a code for this solenoid on the slushbox. Transmissions doing what its supposed to, and has been for several years. But, I'm figuring if this is accessible from the bottom of the tranny when it comes time to change the fluid and filter here shortly, I'll swap it out for a new one.

Anyway, I have a 46RH transmission, and am just wondering if this is easily accessible or if it would take a tranny drop to get at it.

rwilber
06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Fixed the problem finally...the problem was in the torgue converter clutch;
unlocking and locking when it should be locked..rpms ( 50 to 100 ) would decrease and then increase continuously especially on inclines above 45mph . Dodge TSB 18-02-99 talks about this somewhat. The problem was the ground from the PCM to the battery. Follow the negative wire from the passengerside battery past the air filter to the PCM mounted on the fire wall.

Clean the grounds on both batteries, clean the termainals on the batteries, disconnect and reconnect the quick connects and disconnect and reconnect the three 18 prong connectors on the PCM. Clean the grounds from the battery to the truck body. Clean the ground from the battery to the PCM.
Reconnect both positive terminals and then reconnect the negative battery terminal driverside and then the negative terminal passengerside.

turn the iginion key to on, don't crank, depress the gas petal and slowly release it. remove the key from the iginition.

I also distanced the negative ground to the alternator from the other wires to the alternator with my fingers.

fanworks
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Do you know where the solenoid is in the transmission though? I have a single umbilical cord connecting to my trucks PCM, being that its a 1st gen truck. The PCM is also brand new and the connections are clean. The only thing I haven't checked yet is the relay for it, providing I can figure out which relay goes to it.....

Given my past experiences with electrical problems and the age of the truck, odds are good the solenoid is just worn out.

jpb53
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Part throttle unlock solenoid is screwed into the left side of the trans; single wire connection; dark blue with white tracer.

fanworks
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Inside or outside? The only thing on the left side to my memory is the Neutral Safety Switch, which I replaced prior to installing my new PCM a couple months back.

jpb53
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
External

Add your comment to this topic!