Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

water based or acryl

the666bbq
06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi,

First things first, I'm not even an amateur when it comes to automotive paints. My plans where to touch-up some small areas on my Vespa with my airbrush.

I have had my vintage Vespa color analysed via a piece of the bike and got Sikkens (Akzo Nobel) Autowave back. I was happy because I got the right color and a managable quantity (100g where minimal quantities for other paints were 1L). This paint is waterbased (waterborn) and apparently needs a clearcoat as a finish.
There is Sikkens autoacryl aswell, which I think is a 2K acryl paint that doesn't need an extra clearcoat, is this correct ?

I think non clear coat is easier to apply for these touch-ups (would not call them spotrepair yet) because the Vespa has no clear coat is my guess (I wetsanded the backside of a painted piece and had yellow stuff flowing not milky white/clear). Perhaps you shouldn't mix non-clearcoat finish with clear-coated touch-ups or does it make no difference ?
Even if it means 'just' some extra coats of (clear) paint, another problem I have with the clear coats is that it requires extra products that I would have to buy in 1L quantaties - not ideal...

does this make any sense ;-) ? and what do I do best ...

Add your comment to this topic!