Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

belt chirping noise

joe8918
06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I noticed yesterday driving that i have a fairly substantial chirping noise coming which is notably louder when accelerating and fairly quiet when up to speed and non-existant really when idling.

Here's the intersting point...it actually seems to decrease when the A/C is on so it appears to not be the compressoor.

When I got home I quickly took off the serp. belt to verify the noise was being caused by the belt which I did. Once the belt was removed I started, revved, and didn't hear a thing from the underhood from chirping/squealing. I'm trying to pin-point what it could be.

Sept. belt, PS pump, idler pulley - replaced in Sept. 2007
Water pump - replaced in July 2007

I've recently replaced the fan clutch. I know that it could already be a bum pulley or belt. I think if it were the A/C clutch it would get worse w/ the A/C on, correct? I'm assuming it's not the alternator as it's still charging properly but I don't know. I could just buy some belt conditioner and see what happens...

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Joe

AlohaBra
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Did you get this fixed?

Try retensioning the belt.

joe8918
07-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Hello,
Sorry about no follow-up but I didn't believe what I did had actually solved the problem. Turned out that the idler pulley that I put in last Sept. was making the noise. I started with just buying a new one for ~ $16 and putting in to try to get the cheaper things out of the way. I also just tightened it down really tight.

When I took the old one off it didn't seem wobbly or anything but who knows:confused: I also just retightened the belt pretty snug which I believe is needed.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Joe

gtmud
07-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Becareful how tight you make the belt, this will cause premature wear of the bearing in the other pulleys. The belt should be snug, push on it, it should give about 1/2".

Add your comment to this topic!