Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cars to avoid?

mr_tw
06-26-2008, 10:41 PM
My younger sister is looking into buying a Saturn Ion and has just sterted looking around at them, and i was wondering if there are specific model years to avoid, or any helpful knowledge, or things to look for? Are the automatic trannys good in these cars?

denyp
01-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I have a 2004 Ion. If she buys one of these and lives where the temp drops below 20 deg, she will have trouble with the anti theft ignition needing to replace the switch once a year. A major pain in the B*t and $150.00.

Deny

Ragtop_Renegade
01-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I love my Ion. My wife loves it too. She loves it so much, in fact, she bought one too. (she got the four-door, while I have the more guy-friendly sporty looking quad) We have no - that's zip, nada - issues with the ignition switch, and it's about oh, 5 below zero right now. I did have "sticky switch" issues at one time, and the solution is to not put your key on a ring with a billion others, creating a 5 pound key-wad that puts weight on the switch and just gets worse as they swing to and fro. If you read the owners manual of just about any car, it says point blank not to use big bulky key chains for this very reason.

As far as the auto transaxle goes, I'm Mr stick shift, and I have a bad rep for being tough on the 'ol fluid powered gearboxes. Sadly, my wife insists I have to have an auto as a daily driver, in case we're out somewhere and need to swap spots, or we have a car in the shop. I was quite surprised how the little 4 speed auto's control module reads my mind and performs awesome hi-rev upshifts and lightning quick freeway passing lane downshifts like a paddle shifted Porsche - I almost don't miss having a stick and a clutch.

The right side offset gauge cluster seems a bit odd, but once you get the hang of it you wonder why nobody else thought of this.

The seats are comfy, it has decent head room. and I've actually hauled a load of 2x4s by using the fold flat passenger seat and split rear - yes, the trunk lid shuts! For $11,250 at only 26,000 miles, AC, power windows , keyless and more.... I'm shocked. This seems less like an economy car and more like a downsized Cadillac. This coming from a guy who's last 2 cars were an Intrepid (got with blown motor, swaped in a '96 3.5L DOHC law enforcement edition) and a Regal (3.8L TPI) - I don't feel like I "downsized" at all. My only regret is I don't have enough money to buy several more and pack them in mothballs so I can keep driving Ions (as a daily commuter) forever.....

denyp
01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Just don't hold your breath on the switch. My Oldest Son has a 4 door Ion, and had his switch replaced last week. Had to have it towed into the dealer. I still have my Quad coupe and will tolerate this pesky switch problem. I love the body style, and like to drive it.
So you know I have no axe to grind with Saturn, I had an SC-2 coupe we put 250,000 mile on before giving it to my Son. I have owned 2 Vue's as well.

Ragtop_Renegade
01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I always liked the curvy, low sleek look on the SC series. If I get lucky enough to afford it, I'd love to gut the drivetrain and suspension out of one, chop out the strut towers, and drop the body on a Full tube chassis with a alky-swigging hemi hooked to a lenco. Hello, 5 second wheel-standing saturn! (Yes, I'm a very sick individual)

Add your comment to this topic!