Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Picking on 4 bangers..

Pages : [1] 2

cHo
06-26-2008, 09:50 PM
JUST FYI.. no racing in this post..
So I hang out with a bunch of local turbo 3/S owners and am always criticizing them(jokingly..) about picking on 4 bangers..
Yesterday I was on the freeway in the fast lane going with the flow of traffic when a white s13 240sx hops into the fast lane going about 50mph. Now normally I would of just carefully merged around the car and continued on my way.. but I got a phone call right then and just slowed down behind the 240sx. While on the phone, I find out I have the hit the exit thats coming up in about 2 miles. I slowly merge over and speed up a little to get in front of the car(na mr2) to my right. All of a sudden I notice that the male passenger in the 240sx is staring and focusing some type of hatred towards me. I hear the 240 and mr2 downshift and I keep it in 5th and just give it enough gas for the turbo to spool and pull me ahead and able to merge to the right. Well.. the 240sx didn't catch back up to me til I was exiting and they continued on the freeway. The male passenger decided that I deserved not 1 but 2 middle fingers in some type of gang sign..
Anways.. later pick up some girls to hang out and they just keep on complimenting my 'oh soo cool racecar'. My homie's uncle has a bone stock CRX and had a passenger with him. I had 2 girls and 1 other guy in my car. Well hit the last 2 miles before my friend's house and saw the crx downshift and try and pull away. I instantly dropped it into 3rd and took it up to redline. Dropped it back into 5th and brought it back to normal speeds. Look in the rearview and no sign of the crx.. Coasted the exit and still no sign of the crx. Wasn't until 1 stop sign and 1 red light later that the crx finally caught back up to me..
Lets just say that all my passengers were extremely amazed by the performance of the stealth.. Too bad its still on 9bs..
And yes.. I know I'm a hypocrite..;)

Sleepr awd
06-26-2008, 11:17 PM
13g/9b combo ftw

Good stuff, those darn 4 bangers...

MZR_47
06-26-2008, 11:45 PM
we got an evo up here who would make you eat your hypocrisy :) 600+ whp makes a lot of people angry.

Just make sure you dont run in to one of them sleepers. They can get quite nasty. Although it IS physically impossible to beat a 3/S in any race with any car. Ever.

CassiesMan
06-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Your pasangers were impressed with you beating a bone stock CRX?

That really doesn't say a whole lot for Stealths.

cHo
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I know there are many 4 cylinders that would eat me alive but I just rarely run into them.. Besides its always nice to see a nicely modded vehicle telling me to stick it.:)

I know but thats why I'm a hypocrite for picking on a car I knew I would beat. I don't personally believe my car is fast.

Da X
06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
i personally dont think there is anything better than 4 bangers, compared to the 8s and take half the gas. and me personally 330 on a 8.5 gal tank is pretty damn amazing.

Da X
06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
although i know noone would mind an inline 6 twin turbed ,haha my dream is to have a gtr 34 but we know it will never happen.

BullDog71ss
06-28-2008, 12:51 AM
although i know noone would mind an inline 6 twin turbed ,haha my dream is to have a gtr 34 but we know it will never happen.

Kinda set your sights a little on the low side with your choice of dream car there I'd say. They're neato and all, but nothing that special.

Mine is a Carrera GT...I'll be getting two when I win the lottery.

Sleepr awd
06-28-2008, 12:55 AM

As is every FnF ricers dream

MZR_47
06-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Audi R8 is my dream car. Say what you want but I would make sweet love to that car.

The carrera GT on Forza 2 is the most annoying sound on God's green earth. Yet IRL it is an aphrodesiac. (sp?)

lamehonda
06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
I'll just have an RS4 for a daily driver and a TT camaro SS for when I really want to run.

MZR_47
06-28-2008, 05:47 PM
420hp Daily driver FTW. I saw a TT camaro at the strip, that thing was all kinds of epic. Guy didnt know how to drive it though, burned through a gear and a half. But still ran a 10.9. T76 turbos on it, quite the machine. BOV sounded like a bomb going off

lamehonda
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
It takes skill to run a serious turbo machine because the boost is unpredictable. You'd be like "where is the power!!! More Power!! then the turbo catches its breath and the tires are gonna break loose. I think they make better highway machines than drag cars. Too tricky to get a good start. They make you look like a rookie 90% of the time

UnderEstimate Me
06-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Dream car? Exige.

-The Stig-
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Dream Car... hmmm... Bugatti Veyron. Lately I've found them stunningly beautiful... not to mention I've been absolutely fascinated by the mechanical workings of the W16 engine. A feat of badass engineering if I do say so myself. Despite the fact that it gets 5.6mpg city, 9.4mpg highway... and that it'll eat through it's 26 gallon tank of Liquid Schwartz in 12 minutes at full giggle.... (I'd imagine that's all the car would render you while driving 250+mph... a silly giggling person who drools on themselves.) It's the best roller coaster ride ever I'd imagine... 12 minutes at a time.

Hey, If you're going to dream... dream big. :D

But for a more "realistic" choice. Koenigsegg CXX.

I've yet to hear a car that has a more soulfull sound to it than that car.... and it's powered by the fear of small children. Very trick stuff.

MZR_47
06-29-2008, 12:16 AM
My car is powered by those fearful children's screams.

I win.

I would love a veyron. I would put that key in and out that lowers it and sucks the wing in to make my car dance.

Sleepr awd
06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
My car is powered by those fearful children's screams.

I win.

I didn't hear anything... are you sure your car runs at all?? :rofl: :rofl:

TorchedStealth
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
420hp Daily driver FTW. I saw a TT camaro at the strip, that thing was all kinds of epic. Guy didnt know how to drive it though, burned through a gear and a half. But still ran a 10.9. T76 turbos on it, quite the machine. BOV sounded like a bomb going off

He knew how to drive...its just kind of hard to catch traction on a slick track with 1300WHP at 33psi from twin 72 trim turbos. And he didnt burn through 2 gears, when i saw him he smoked all 5!

MZR_47
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
he went through 5th!? :\ wows.. Guess I was seeing this from the back and couldnt hear anything. I just went off what Bryce, Travis, and Kaddy told me from their point of view.

But yes, very hard to drive that. Similar to the brother's rear-mount turbo TA...

Da X
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
he went through 5th!? :\ wows.. Guess I was seeing this from the back and couldnt hear anything. I just went off what Bryce, Travis, and Kaddy told me from their point of view.

But yes, very hard to drive that. Similar to the brother's rear-mount turbo TA...nothing is similar to that damn TA its epic is what that is, haha. Hey by the way swenson raced Smalls hahahahahahaha lets just say swenson now knows the potential for hondas

98BlackTransAm
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
But yes, very hard to drive that. Similar to the brother's rear-mount turbo TA...

the STS rear-mount turbo kit? one of my buddy's in charlotte has that on his '01 ws6...that shit is dirty. i'm seriously considering going that route once i get out of school. the sound of a BOV comin out a 5.7L v8 is just rediculous,, and this thing takes off like a high-powered jet.

TorchedStealth
07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah these guys blew up their LS1 with a little too much boost but it was at about 600 WHP before it blew. Then they went to texas for a month to get a 408ci motor built for boost and dropped in..it puts down 500-550whp WITHOUT any boost! Then they added a T-88 turbo instead of the T-76 on the STS and put it at 15-16 psi and dynoed again (motor is built to handle 18 but they were getting leaks and they were still breaking it in.) dynoed just over 1100 at the wheels but there started burning out on the rollers and broke a strap. They restrapped it and tried in 5th gear but the shop owner shut down because they were already spinning the rollers at 160mph!

Damn that was a lot to type on my ipod touch!

MZR_47
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
not to mention the bypass valve is open-air, so its loud as puck. Plus that is the craziest turbo spool evar. this car rips harder than any vehicle in the state. Crazy!

They picked on a bunch of STi guys recently, and one of them looked at the engine and said "no way are you over 600whp" so they raced....

Poor fellow didnt look under the car....:shakehead

cHo
07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Displacement will eventually win over all. Add a turbo to push more air in and you pretty much got a beast on your hands.

My dream car is a Shelby SCC Ultimate Aero 2. Supposedly ran a drag between UA2 and Veyron up to 180mph. Supposedly the UA2 was about 8 lengths on the Veyron and still pulling. If they hit top speed, the UA2 would of basically made no one buy the veyron..:)
This might not be true but what I do know is that the Veyron was made for anyone to drive. The Ultimate Aero 2 doesn't have ABS, Traction control, Stability control, etc because its more of a driver's car.

CassiesMan
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Displacement will eventually win over all. Add a turbo to push more air in and you pretty much got a beast on your hands.

Displacement is not and will not ever be the end all be all decider when it comes to massive power numbers. Actual times, yes, but power numbers, no.

98BlackTransAm
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
i've found that the only replacement for displacement is diet and excercise :p

cHo
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Displacement is not and will not ever be the end all be all decider when it comes to massive power numbers. Actual times, yes, but power numbers, no.
I didn't know we were talking about numbers.. I meant actual times.

CassiesMan
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
I didn't know we were talking about numbers.. I meant actual times.

Even then, displacement doesn't promise anything. No replacement for displacement hasn't been true since 1993.

TorchedStealth
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Even then, displacement doesn't promise anything. No replacement for displacement hasn't been true since 1993.

Im thinking the man refers to the 2JZ-GTE by chance? :eek:

CassiesMan
07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Im thinking the man refers to the 2JZ-GTE by chance? :eek:

Among other things, yes. I can also pull out a few single digit no piston videos. And meself, just this past weekend. Racind a Mustang, supercharged. Not sure if it was a six or eight, looked like and idled like an eight. Regardless, I know he was supercharged, so regardless, he had boost AND displacement AND cylinders on me. He also got a good look at my tail lights three or four times from 50 and 60 punches.

TorchedStealth
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Ahh yes good ol' 1.3 liter rotary RX-7.

I have also proven that at times 4 cylinder engines can outperform V8's. I've taken out a few older camaros and mustangs, but hell i could walk them when i had my auto stealth dohc n/a. A race between my friends surprised me the other night though, my friend with a stage 2 only cobalt ss hung right beside my buddy's ls1 z28 6-speed with intake and cat-back. So every once and a while you will find a quick small motor car.

VR43000GT
07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
True story, 3/S's never lose for some reason. Except to one car....as the saying on 3Si goes, "The 2JZ neva loses......neva."

GForce957
07-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Among other things, yes. I can also pull out a few single digit no piston videos. And meself, just this past weekend. Racind a Mustang, supercharged. Not sure if it was a six or eight, looked like and idled like an eight. Regardless, I know he was supercharged, so regardless, he had boost AND displacement AND cylinders on me. He also got a good look at my tail lights three or four times from 50 and 60 punches.

Thats a pretty crappily boosted stang then.

VR43000GT
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
^Touche. lol

UnderEstimate Me
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats a pretty crappily boosted stang then.

Not if its a 6 cylinder.

GForce957
07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
True, but ive seen them put up some big numbers. There was an old member here that was always talking about them. Frankly I hate the 6 cylinder, and I can sort of understand the reason behind boosting it, cause its dog shit slow, but its almost like a turbo echo.

UnderEstimate Me
07-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Ive seen turbo 6's put down good numbers, but only so-so numbers when they are blown.

Sleepr awd
07-03-2008, 08:48 PM
i've heard the 6's boost very well and can make some serious power with not as much effort as other vehicles.

But, on the other hand, i'd rather have 4 cylinders and 4 drive wheels and 30 lbs of boost instead of 8 cylinders and 2 drive wheels and no boost.... Something about the way traction feels even in the snow and rain that makes me feel stable and safe.

GForce957
07-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Stable? Safe?

UnderEstimate Me
07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
No 4 banger with a decent turbo on 30lbs will be fun to drive as a DD. A great straight line car maybe, but for anything else no thanks.

cHo
07-03-2008, 09:32 PM
True story, 3/S's never lose for some reason. Except to one car....as the saying on 3Si goes, "The 2JZ neva loses......neva."
http://3svideo.vidiac.com/category/TTDEVIL/0/268e9274-b9c4-4e53-b4d3-983b01556121.htm
Could of been a bad tune, horrible driver, old worn down motor, I don't know.. But if you max out a 4 with mods and max out an 8 with the same extensive modding equivalent, then the 8 will be faster. Of course there are variables such as traction, driver error, condition of vehicles, etc but take those out and the 8 will be faster. Thats why most professional racing cars have more cylinders regardless of nascar, f1, funny car, etc.

Sleepr awd
07-03-2008, 10:56 PM
i'm so sick of the "v8 for the win" argument. if you want to continue arguing that, then you need to go find a honda forum to pick on. we've had enough.

and it wouldn't always be turned to 30lbs its called an adjustable boost controller with 2 settings. low boost... 20lbs and high boost, which is what ever i can tune for. :D

MZR_47
07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
V8s are in those kinds of cars because they have torque up the ass just as motor, then with a blower or turbo go crazy. A 4 cyliner will not do that. Though I cant imagine they turbo many top fuel cars, as turbo lag is still there.

Who cares about if you have a I4, boxer, I5, V6, I6, V8, V10, etc.... its how you drive it, and how you make it faster. I will take my SC'd Cobalt over an N/A V8 or V6 with the same power, because insta-boost is just so damn fun.

Its all a matter of personal preferance, so lets not argue over who thinks their opinion is right.

VTEC owns all anyways.

Da X
07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
not to mention the bypass valve is open-air, so its loud as puck. Plus that is the craziest turbo spool evar. this car rips harder than any vehicle in the state. Crazy!

They picked on a bunch of STi guys recently, and one of them looked at the engine and said "no way are you over 600whp" so they raced....

Poor fellow didnt look under the car....:shakeheadI also believe that they lost around 500 dollars on that race so they were pucked as you would say it hahaha

cHo
07-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm not saying that 8 cylinders is unstoppable. I just think that they can handle abuse better in general(there are exceptions I know...). I don't know of many 4 bangers making 1500+whp or even 6s other than supras.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTlKeJmQr4
Video of Turbo integra beating a Viper. Now if the Viper added a turbo on to his car, outcome would prob be very different imo. Props to the integra for beating an 80k dollar car but modding always changes the outcome. Thats why modding is so fun and addictive..

MZR_47
07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
you can always say well if we had the same mods I would win... But see thats the thing. If everyone had the same mods, nobody would buy slower cars would they? Everyone would have the same thing, no variety. Every performance car would be a viper or a veyron or an F430. There would be no smaller boosted cars in the performance car area.

See what I am saying? Well I have a Turbo, TBE, Cams, Intake, and BOV. and I beat your V8 in my 4 cylinder. You say "well, if I had those mods I would kick your ass"

Yes, but guess what? you dont.

cHo
07-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Props to the integra for beating an 80k dollar car but modding always changes the outcome. Thats why modding is so fun and addictive..
I hope no one still thinks I'm trying to bash any type of car at all. I'm just saying that v8s generally can handle more abuse. Thats why most nitrous kits don't recommend 100-150shot for a 4 cylinder or even 6 but will for an 8. Regardless a bad install or tune will have any motor sitting on the ground. And thats really where the excitement is.. Trying to build a car to your specs to suit your driving and still trying to be faster, more reliable, etc than the other guy.

MZR_47
07-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I know, its all preferance really. Im just making sure we dont have any "YOU KNOW, THAT WOULDNT HAPEN WITH A V8" guys who hate anyone who doesnt watch nascar :D

No worries, just voicing my opinion, no matter how unpopular it might be

cHo
07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I wanna run a SS/SC or a Redline.. Have yet to see one perform on the streets. Saw a few up at LACR(LA's 1/4 mile before it got shut down..) that were stage 2+ and they were putting down some decent times.

VR43000GT
07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Lol, no need to get a video to prove me wrong cHo. It was sarcasm. Anything can be made fast regardless of how many pistons. You could spend a lifetime pulling up videos of V8's beating 4 and 6 cylinders and same with me if I were pulling up 4's and 6's beating 8 cylinders. None of them particularly are FTW! Each have their ups and their downs. All can be made into cars that run sub 10 second 1/4 mile cars.....so who really gives a shit?

cHo
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats the beauty of typing on the internet.. All I read is mono-type.
I love cars and motors of all kinds pretty equally.

3GRacing
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
hi yall. i'm kinda a newb on these boards but i figured i'd leave my two cents in this topic.
all things equal, same amount of air getting into the engine and same amount of fuel getting to the engine at the same compression ratio and the engines running at the same rpm, the v8 will make more power.
however luckly we don't live in a world where all things are the same. we got turbochargers, superchargers, different cams, stroker crankshafts, high compression pistons, and many other go fast parts which evens the playing field. well that's all i got so peace out everyone.

98BlackTransAm
07-07-2008, 08:56 AM
personally i like the fact that there is more than way to go fast. a fast car is a fast car, regardless of what setup it's running. people just have different tastes in style and how they want to reach their performance goals, and you have to respect that ultimately we're all just tryin to get faster.

CassiesMan
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I just love coming in here and stirring up shit then disappearing.

FWIW, my next car will most likely have a LSx motor in it. I just think no replacement for displacement/number of cylinders is a stupid argument.

AutoBodyMan
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
as for me, I'm only 17, and I havn't got my first car yet, but my dream cars would have to be a 1967 Mustang Shelby GT 500, AKA Eleanor. Also not sure about the year, but a Dodge Viper.

Sleepr awd
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
i'd rather make you say WTF when your girl thinks you are less of a man when you lose to a 4 door.

UnderEstimate Me
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
i'd rather make you say WTF when your girl thinks you are less of a man when you lose to a 4 door.

I dont know what girls are going to be thinking that haha.

cHo
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Are those really the type of girls you wanna hang around..?;) And most cars regardless of doors or motor unfortunately cower beneath me when they hear the BOV. Its like they already assume I have some type of beast or something. It honestly kinda sucks..:(

CivRacer95
07-07-2008, 10:18 PM

Any woman that judges a man by the speed of his car, more than likely wouldn't be travelling with anyone that you could simply blow by without getting your own doors blown off... :biggrin:

UnderEstimate Me
07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Are those really the type of girls you wanna hang around..?;) And most cars regardless of doors or motor unfortunately cower beneath me when they hear the BOV. Its like they already assume I have some type of beast or something. It honestly kinda sucks..:(

Bov's and FMIC's make people think twice. :(

Add your comment to this topic!