Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jack rabbit acceleration

flundber
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Mazda protege 1998 1.5 LS 122k. 5speed manual. Just changed the axels I doubt if that anything to do with this but every now and then when starting out in first gear the car jack rabbits accelerates up and down like someone just learning to use a clutch. I driven clutch type cars for 50+ years also happens to wife. Pushing in the clutch resolves the problem. May be prone to do this more when cold but had happen when hot. Sometimes can detect some tendency for this to happen in 2nd gear.
Thanks for any help.

Doug Tatham
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
You may have bubbles in your hydrolic clutch mechanism. Bleed it the way you would brakes. It uses the same reservoir as the brakes and has a bleeder valve similar to brakes on the clutch release cylinder.

flundber
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Mazda protege 1998 1.5 LS 122k. 5speed manual. Just changed the axels I doubt if that anything to do with this but every now and then when starting out in first gear the car jack rabbits accelerates up and down like someone just learning to use a clutch. I driven clutch type cars for 50+ years also happens to wife. Pushing in the clutch resolves the problem. May be prone to do this more when cold but had happen when hot. Sometimes can detect some tendency for this to happen in 2nd gear.
Thanks for any help.

Ok got it the air mass meter boot was rotten and cracked. Duct tape for a temp fix new part ordered.

Add your comment to this topic!