Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best way to fix headliner from falling down?

FTLOSM
06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I have a 97 marquis and overall (a few quirks) its a decent car, the rear headliner keeps coming down and it drives me batty!

I bought a can of spray adhesive and did my best in the back seat to spray the surface (messy) and re-apply the headliner but over time it just falls down again, this is happening at the very end only, and I don't want it to extend farther into the car (by dome light etc).

I still have the spray adhesive but it was a mess (and I have tinted windows) and since it fell already from using that I am hoping for a better solution.

Don't laugh but I was thinking of a staple gun even heck I dunno, maybe some fabric glue we use to put patches on my daughters girl scout vest (altho that stuff seems to not hold patches too great over time either).

Any advice on what might make the headliner STAY up this time?

Bill

'97ventureowner
06-25-2008, 11:48 PM
These are very hard to fix in many cases. The foam insulating pad underneath disintegrates and attempts to re-glue it fail most of the time. You could try to remove the headliner and then remove the foam pad and try to reinstall it, or I've seen a product in some auto parts stores called "twist pins" that you install through the headliner to hold it in place. One other option would be to call around to some body shops or auto upholstery shops and get an estimate on repair.

gasman1075
07-20-2008, 08:13 AM
have it replaced,any auto interior shop can do the job for about $150 or you can purchase new headliner material and remove the headliner from the car and strip the old material and backer from the headliner and install new material then reinstall in the car.The formed cardboard headliner is not always easy to get out of the car.

Joegoalie
08-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Bump; I'm having this same issue in my 01 Continental. A new headliner is only about $150? Really? I'd probably just do that then... The Ford dealer said maybe trying velcro, how would that work?

2000mgm
08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
im having the same problen with my 2000 mgm it drives me crazy! im probably getting it re upholstered

monte721
02-07-2013, 07:21 PM
My headliner was just starting to separate at the end by the rear window and I went to the dollar store and got a 3 pack of those glue sticks and smeared that on there all along the edge of the headliner and carefully pressed the cloth back on and it stick nicely and does not even show through that theres glue underneath so it looks normal again for $1!

Probie
07-27-2013, 06:23 AM
I have been in the upholstery business for 30 years and over the last 15 this has become a real problem. The deal is the foam disintegrates over time forming a loose powder that pulls away. The only solution is to remove the headliner, remove the cloth, scrape all the old foam off (and I mean all). Spray on glue the type used for vinyl tops (holds better), apply new foam, then apply a new cloth cover. Be sure to keep everything smooth or you will have a mess. Believe you me...your better off taking it to an upholstery shop. Most of the headliner bases are now manufactured out of a pressed cardboard, terrible stuff. At one time these where made from a thin plastic. This thin plastic was easier to clean old glue and foam from. Well I hope this helps.

monte721
07-30-2013, 11:44 AM
So what I did when my headliner was starting to "peel off" at the back. I got a glue stick from the dollar store and carefully put it on the roof padding then carefully pressed the headliner back on so there were no wrinkles and tucked it back into the top. Unfortunately i didn't think to get any pictures and it wasn't perfect, but close and hardly noticeable and it held up. How long it will last? I don't know since I sold the truck.

Add your comment to this topic!