Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

driving without rear drive shaft

jdsalas
06-25-2008, 04:37 AM
I have a 96 cherokee with external slip yoke. My rear drive shaft is damaged so I have to wait for a new one which might take up to a month to get from where i'm at and I really need a vehicle. I was wondering if it would be OK to drive my jeep until then with the rear drive shaft removed. Also, will there be any issues in doing this for a month (safety, damage, etc.) or limits that I must adhere too. Thanks for any advise.

MagicRat
06-25-2008, 10:39 AM
If your Jeep has the Selec-trac (full time 4wd transfer case,) you should not drive it with the rear shaft removed.

If it's a Command Trac (part time TC) then theoretically, you can. However, I would not recommend it. The front driveshaft and components are IMO not as strong as the rear because they are intended to be used in conjunction with the rear shaft in place.

fredjacksonsan
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
True enough; you can limp it home with the front only, but I wouldn't recommend doing it for long. You'll also be losing fluid which won't go well for long.

I'm wondering why it's taking so long...there are junkyards (Google is your fried) that can supply overnight or at least pretty quick shipping for most parts.

jdsalas
06-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for your input MagicRat and Fredjacksonsan I will just have to hitch rides till then. As for the junkyards I have done that but because this is 4 wheeling territory (GUAM) all the good parts are taken already from so many Four Wheeling people. the only drive shaft I found was for a two wheel drive. Again, Thanks for your Input, I will follow your advice. : )

Also note: this model Cherokee has a external slip yoke so there is no fluid lose from the transfer case. At least from the removal of the slip yoke at the transfer case and it is part time. Thanks Again

Ray H
07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Im going to have to disagree with the others. Ive known many people who have driven like that for periods of time. I think it'll be fine to drive around without the rear DS. The front DS is plenty strong, matter of fact Ive been running a front DS in the rear now for over 2 years with no issues. The D30 front axle can hold up to 33s all day long under trail conditions. I dont think some easy street driving is going to kill it. The only side effect you will probably get is some strange pulling to the left or right under acceleration. Just take it easy on it and dont drive it too much and it'll be fine.

audioa85
07-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Hey i was wondering when u had problems with your rear drive shaft when u had the broken one in did it just sound like tons of grinding and was it because u got stuck in a bunch of water....im trying to find out what to do with my jeep

Add your comment to this topic!